[Reader-list] A Request

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Nov 13 23:30:59 IST 2007

Dear all,

I unequivocally condemn the CPI(M) led Left Front government's reign of
terror in West Bengal. I have written about the Nandigram issue on this
list in the past, (in March this year) and so will not repeat myself on
this matter.

I also think that the CPI(M)'s paralysing control over cultural and
intellectual life in West Bengal, and the poverty of its own
intellectual resources stands nakedly and totally exposed today.

Having said all this, I would request all those on this list who have
expressed their anger on this issue (which I sympathize with) to not do
the following.

1. Post private (off-list) correspondence on to the public forum of the
list without the consent of the correspondents.

2. Use personalized invective and abuse in your communications on the list

Those who have done the above may have done so in genuine dismay or
anger, but it does their cause great damage.I say this in solidarity
with their feelings, and in criticism of their actions.

We have learnt a great deal in the past few months on this list about
the need to cultivate a certain degree of restraint in terms of
language, especially when we are in disagreement.

I look on the turmoil of the past few months on this list positively,
because they have helped us mature. And in that spirit, I request you
all to debate and discuss every thing threadbare, but in a manner that
does not waylay us into discussing the niceties of how people should be
speaking to each other. That distracts us from the matters that we
really want to discuss.

So, for instance, if you want to be critical of the CPI(M), by all means
be so, but if you do so in a manner that provokes others into saying
that you are being personal in you attack, then we have to spend a lot
of time and energy in discussing that. Eventually, your critique of the
CPI(M) gets forgotten, and we end up trying to apportion blame between
different speech acts, and wasting our time on yet another invocation of
list protocols.

I hope everyone understands that this is not a call to censorship,
rather, it is a demand that we all write respnsibly, so that the issues
that we are all angry about and anguished by can be discussed in all
seriousness.

It would be a terrible loss if a vibrant list with an evolving critical
edge were to degenerate into a boxing ring where tired pugilists slug it
out with each other to the dismay of bored spectators.

Everyone, please, always take a few deep breaths before you hit 'send'.
Better still, let your mails sit in your drafts folder, read them once a
few hours later, and then hit 'send'. Believe me, it will make
everyone's life much better, and we will have more rewarding discussions
on the list.

regards,

Shuddha