[Reader-list] Modi's image builders have dictators on client list

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 14:14:08 IST 2007

Dear All,

Surely this has to be one of the strangest comments I have read so
far. It is true tragic-comedy in the old sense of the term. I am not
sure whether the fact that today votaries of the right are defending
the CPIM is the tragic element or the comic element.

Pawan Durani ji the fact that a leader is a mass leader and wins
elections democratically is no defence of his/her actions. I am amazed
that you can argue for majoritarian politics in this matter of fact
fashion. Are we to assume that a "democratic" decision to kill 4,000
people over two days is alright, because the people behind this were
elected democratically? Your statement that Narendra Modi cannot be
held responsible for what happened is complete nonsense. Please spare
us this Hindu-apologist garbage. Narendra Modi is a mass murderer.
There can be no quibbling on this.

It is interesting that you equate Buddhadeb and Modi in this fashion
because today morning's news carries a story on the NHRC's equation of
Nandigram 2006 with Gujarat 2002.

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/241118.html

I am deeply troubled by this. I do not think statements like this are
helpful in thinking through and opposing what occurred in either
instance. We need to be able to fashion languages that can take into
account the particularity of violence. In this way all the CPIM has to
say is "Nandigram is not like Gujarat," which is true, and that's the
end of that. Nandigram is like Nandigram. That's bad enough. Of course
this question of the brutality with which the state reacts to demands
by farmers, is something that needs to be thought through. And this
brutality is the preserve neither of the left or the right. Remember
the killing of farmers agitating for water in police firing in
Rajasthan, under BJP rule, last year and in 2004

http://www.indiaenews.com/india/20071119/81460.htm

best
Aarti