[Reader-list] letter that i plan to write to Indian newspapers

yasir ~ yasir.media at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 16:00:33 IST 2007

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sara inayat <inayat.sara at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 24, 2007 2:15 AM

Dear All,
I seek your opinions on a letter that i plan to write to Indian
newspapers. The Idea is to get the Indian government to quit sitting
on the fence and to speak out against state excesses in Pakistan. the
main idea however is to condemn the Indian government's decision  to
permit cricket between the two teams.
The aparthied regime in south Africa was barred from participating in
any international sporting competitions. There is no way for us to
measure the impact that this had on the collapse of the Aparthied
regime, howver it did build soft pressure on the regime. by taking
such an action the international community made it obvious to the
world that Aparthied was unacceptable.
Perhaps a similar pressure can be built up on the Pakistani state by
refusing to let the cricket team participate in any match. Plz also be
mindful of the fact that the ICC and the cricketers of the world had
noithing to say about the incarceration of Imran Khan. That is not
only shocking its downright shameful.
Just let me know what u think . Once we have a concensus on this ill
send out the letter.
In the letter i have also complained of the indifference of the indian
judges,, lawyers and journalists. My understanding of the indian civil
society's response to the martial law  is based on Kudip Nayar' recent
article in Dawn. According to that article the response has been quite
pathetic.
Plz do comment , as i want to send this letter only after consulting u guys.
Regards
sara Inayat

 +

from All list