[Reader-list] Almost Island: A New Literary Magazine

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Thu Oct 4 15:44:40 IST 2007

Dear friends,

Please find the first issue of ALMOST ISLAND now online at:
http://www.almostisland.com/

Almost Island  is a new literary magazine, edited by Sharmistha Mohanty,
with Vivek Narayanan as consulting editor.  Based in India, we are
resolutely international in scope and conception.  We are dedicated to
distinctive, essential, innovative, exploratory writing, with special
emphasis on the internal and the philosophical.  Each new issue will
endeavour to publish a substantial selection of work as an introduction
to a small number of writers.  There will also be shorter updates to the
issue each month.  All texts are available both on screen and as pdf
downloads.

IN THE FIRST ISSUE:

The inaugural issue of Almost Island is all PROSE, but this includes
poems in prose, and a wide variety of styles, forms and approaches.
Find here a range of alternatives to what your average mass-marketed
prose machines are serving up:

[Contributors listed in alphabetical order]

Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum, from Madeleine Is Sleeping :
Excerpts from one of the most unusual novels to be shortlisted for the
National Book Award: a darkly sexual and even perverse fable written in
rich, distinctive and ringing language.

Cybermohalla, What Is It that Flows Between Us :
Three texts by members of Ankur / Sarai-CSDS's Cybermohalla labs.  True
views of Delhi from the inside, intense, navigating steadily and
intently away from categories and easy narratives of heroism and
victimhood, and from the cliched seductions of traditional narratives
altogether--explorations without "the weight of presentation within".

Mikhail Epstein , from Cries in the New Wilderness
Excerpts from the "cult classic" by one of Russia's quirkiest and most
original contemporary philosophers: an ethnographic catalogue of shadowy
religious cults that may or may not have existed, hidden in the folds of
the former Soviet Union--purportedly taken from the files of Moscow's
erstwhile "Institute of Atheism".

David Herd, from Mandelson! Mandelson! and The Hut
Is it actually possible to keep it real in the age of manipulative
images, compulsive consumption and panacea-peddlers?  What is the price
we pay for our cynicism?  In the most contemporary language, with a
light touch but one completely free of easy sentimentalism, these poems
and fictions ask the ancientest of questions, and make a strong case,
despite despair, for the return of enthusiasm.  David Herd's writings
somehow make you feel happier: a rare effect in literature.

Kent Johnson, I Once Met and 33 Rules for Poets Under 23
Two works from one of the most subversive and, in fact, serious writers:
a warm, various and often naughty encyclopaedic embrace of poets famous
and obscure; and unflinching advice for young poets, after the Chilean
poet Nicanor Parra.

James Alan McPherson, Going Up to Atlanta
A relentlessly honest and searching improvisatory memoir, that explores
uncertain recollections of racial discrimination and the rise and fall
and rise of a family, that seeks to answer the question, "Can the
offspring ennoble the ancestor?"  From one of America's most important
writers of short stories and literary non-fiction, and a past winner of
the Putlitzer Prize.

Tosa Motokiyu, The Strange Account of 'A True Account of Talking to the
Sun at Fire Island'
A fascinating and ambiguous "critical fiction", curiously fusing
together elements of literary criticism, memoir and detective parody,
proposing, with disturbing, factual and convincing circumstantial
evidence, that Frank O'Hara was not quite the author you thought he
was.  It does make you wonder.

Srikanth Reddy, Voyager
In this long excerpt from his current project, a book length poem
composed of sentences, Srikanth Reddy continues to consider our world
and its total history as if through some kind of new, intensified lens,
both passionate and estranged, both lyrical and aphoristic by turns,
working from first principles, asking, it would seem to us, what is
world, what is looking, what is representation, what is time, what is
sequence?

Rodrigo Rey Rosa, The Proof and The Truth
Simple, violent, ruthless, and deeply disturbing philosophical tales,
inevitable and irrefutable, by one of Guatemala's most respected
writers.  Translated by Paul Bowles.

George Szirtes, 6 Prose Poems
New work from the major Hungarian-British poet and translator, winner of
the TS Eliot prize for his luminous Reel-- varied, typically
understated, and patient but insistently, methodically, weird.  Suddenly
things are not so solid, or so clear.  Suddenly you no longer know where
you are.

Eliot Weinberger, The Rhinoceros
A rare and carefully modulated elegy for  the rhinoceros, collaging
images, hearsay, myth and history, starting with the arrival of the
first rhinoceros in Europe 1300 years after the fall of Rome.
Weinberger is, among many other things, well known as the translator of
Octavio Paz and Borges; his innovative essays read like hidden,
empirical poems.  The Rhinoceros is from his new book of "serial
essays", An Elemental Thing.

For questions, suggestions, comments and errata, and to join this, our
occasional newsletter, please write to:  editor [at-sign] almostisland
[dot] com

If you are receiving this email, you have already been added to the
newsletter, which will appear sporadically, never more than once a
month.  If you would not like to receive this newsletter at this email
address, please do write to us at the address above, and we will
promptly take you off the list.

Happy Reading!
The Almost Island Team

--
www.sarai.net

Vivek Narayanan
The Sarai Programme
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29,Rajpur Road,
Civil Lines
Delhi 110 054.