[Reader-list] “This is What They Look Like”

Tasveer Ghar tasveerghar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 15:55:47 IST 2007

"This Is What They Look Like"
Stereotypes of Muslim Piety in Calendar Art and Hindi Cinema
An online multimedia Work-in-Progress at Tasveer Ghar

http://tasveerghar.net/mstereo

Tasveer Ghar (the House of Pictures) invites you to visit its latest
Virtual Gallery Visual Essay about the stereotypes of the Indian
Muslim community as depicted in popular media such as calendar art,
print advertisements and Hindi cinema.

Featured in the essay is an extensive selection of popular posters and
video clips from numerous Hindi movies. This web-feature is still
developing and you are invited to see it, comment on it, and even
contribute to it if you have any unique images which can add value to
it.

http://tasveerghar.net/mstereo

Tasveer Ghar, a digital network of South Asian popular visual culture,
is a trans-national virtual "home" for collecting, digitizing, and
documenting various materials produced by South Asia's exciting
popular visual sphere including posters, calendar art, pilgrimage maps
and paraphernalia, cinema hoardings, advertisements, and other forms
of street and bazaar art. We invite you to contribute to our growing
archive of such art and essays.

Some of our earlier Virtual Galleries include the following:

Welcome - Swagatam - Good Morning: Welcome posters of India:
by Patricia Uberoi
http://tasveerghar.net/welcome/

New Year Greeting Cards with a Hindu Nationalist perspective:
by Christiane Brosius
http://tasveerghar.net/hgreet/

Looking forwarding to your presence, comments and contributions on our website.

Best of regards

Christiane Brosius
Manishita Dass
Sumathi Ramaswamy