[Reader-list] The Freedom of Others: A Sentimental Education: Three Blocks

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Sat Oct 6 20:20:52 IST 2007

Below, an excerpt from Ananya Vajpeyi's review of Sanjay Kak's
Jashn-e-Azadi in Outlook Magazine
(
http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20071004&fname=ananya&sid=1 ):

"What allows someone like me – born, raised and educated in India,
secular, committed to the longevity and flourishing of the Indian nation
in every sense – to get, as it were, the meaning, the reality, and the
validity, of Kashmir’s agonized search for azadi? Why do I not want my
army to take or keep Kashmir by force, or my fellow-citizens to enjoy
their annual vacations as unthinking, insensitive tourists, winter or
summer? Why do abandoned Pandit homesteads affect me as much as charred
Muslim houses, and why do I think that neither will be rebuilt and
re-inhabited, nor will they be full of life as they once were, unless
first and foremost, the military bunkers are taken down?"

[full text of review below]

Azadi: Theirs and Ours

Ananya Vajpeyi

Sanjay Kak’s new documentary “Jashn-e-Azadi” (“How we celebrate
freedom”) is aimed primarily at an Indian audience. This two-part film,
138 min long, explores what Kak calls the “sentiment”, namely “azadi”
(literally “freedom”) driving the conflict in the India-controlled part
of Kashmir for the past 18 years. This sentiment is inchoate: it does
not have a unified movement, a symbol, a flag, a map, a slogan, a leader
or any one party associated with it. Sometimes it means full territorial
independence, and sometimes it means other things. Yet it is real, with
a reality that neither outright repression nor fitful persuasion from
India has managed to dissipate for almost two decades. Howsoever unclear
its political shape, Kashmiris know the emotional charge of azadi, its
ability to keep alive in every Kashmiri heart a sense of struggle, of
dissent, of hope. It is for Indians who do not know about this
sentiment, or do not know how to react to it, that Kak has made his
difficult, powerful film. And it is with Indian audiences that Kak has
already had, and is likely to continue having, the most heated debate.

Between 1989 and 2007, nearly 100,000 people – soldiers and civilians,
armed militants and unarmed citizens, Kashmiris and non-Kashmiris – lost
their lives to the violence in Kashmir. 700,000 Indian military and
paramilitary troops are stationed there, the largest such armed presence
in what is supposedly peace time, anywhere in the world. Both residents
of and visitors to Kashmir in recent years already know what Kak’s film
brings home to the viewer: how thoroughly militarized the Valley is,
criss-crossed by barbed wire, littered with bunkers and sand-bags,
dotted with men in uniform carrying guns, its roads bearing an unending
stream of armoured vehicles up and down a landscape that used to be
called, echoing the words of the Mughal Emperor Jehangir, Paradise on
earth. Other places so mangled by a security apparatus as to make it
impossible for life to proceed normally immediately come to mind:
occupied Palestine, occupied Iraq.

Locals, especially young men, must produce identification at all the
check-posts that punctuate the land, or during sudden and frequent
operations described by the dreaded words “crackdown” and “cordon and
search”. Kak’s camera shows us that even the most ordinary attempt to
cross the city of Srinagar, or travel from one village to another is
fraught with these security checks, as though the entire Valley were a
gigantic airport terminal and every man were a threat to every other. As
soldiers insultingly frisk folks for walking about in their own places,
the expressions in their eyes – anger, fear, resignation, frustration,
irritation, or just plain embarrassment – say it all. In one scene men
are lined up, and some of them get their clothes pulled and their faces
slapped while they are being searched. Somewhere beneath all these daily
humiliations burns the unnamed sentiment: azadi.

One reason that there is no Indian tolerance for this word in the
context of Kashmir is that the desire for “freedom” immediately implies
that its opposite is the case: Kashmir is not free. By the logic of the
Indian state, India is free and Kashmir is a part of India, ergo,
Kashmir too, must be free. But Kak’s images provide visual attestation
for something diametrically opposed to this logic: the reality of
occupation. Kashmir is occupied by Indian troops, somewhat like
Palestine is by Israeli troops, and Iraq is by American and coalition
troops. But wait, objects the Indian viewer. Palestinians are Muslims
and Israelis are Jews; Iraqis are Iraqis and Americans are Americans –
how are their dynamics comparable to the situation in Kashmir? Indians
and Kashmiris are all Indian; Muslims and non-Muslims in Kashmir (or
anywhere in India) are all Indian. Neither the criterion of nationality
nor the criterion of religion is applicable to explain what it is that
puts Indian troops and Kashmiri citizens on either side of a line of
hostility. How can we speak of an “occupation” when there are no
enemies, no foreigners and no outsiders in the picture at all? And if
occupation makes no sense, then how can azadi make any sense?

Kak explained to an audience at a recent screening of his film in Boston
(23/09) that he could only begin to approach the subject of his film,
azadi, after he had made it past three barriers to understanding that
stand in the way of an Indian mind trying to grasp what is going on in
Kashmir. The first of these is secularism. Since India is a secular
country, most Indians do not even begin to see how unrest in any part of
the country could be explained using religion – that too what is, in the
larger picture, a minority religion – as a valid ground for the
political self-definition and self-determination of a community. The
Valley of Kashmir is 95% Muslim. Does this mean that Kashmiris get to
have their own nation? For most Indians, the answer is simply: No.
Kashmiri Muslims are no more entitled to a separate nation than were the
Sikhs who supported the idea of Khalistan in the 1980s. Such claims
replay, for Indians, the worst memories of Partition in 1947, and bring
back the ghost of Jinnah’s two-nation theory to haunt India’s secular
polity and to threaten it from within.

The second barrier to understanding, related to the struggle over
secularism, is the flight of the Pandits, Kashmir’s erstwhile 4% Hindu
minority community, following violent incidents in 1990. 160,000 Pandits
fled the Valley in that year’s exodus, leaving behind homes, lands and
jobs they have yet to recover. Today the Pandits live, if not in Indian
and foreign cities, then in refugee settlements that have become
semi-permanent, most notably in Jammu and Delhi. For Indians, even if
they do little or nothing to rehabilitate Pandits into the Indian
mainstream, the persecution of the Pandits at the hands of their
fellow-Kashmiris, following the fault-lines of religious difference and
the minority-majority divide, is a deeply alienating feature of
Kashmir’s conflict. Kashmir’s Muslim leadership has consistently
expressed regret for what happened to the Pandits in the first phase of
the struggle for azadi, but it has not, on the other hand, made any
serious effort to bring back the exiled Hindus either. In failing to
ensure the safety of the Pandits, Kashmir has lost a vital connection
with the Indian state – and, potentially, a source of legitimacy for its
claim to an exceptional status as a sovereign entity.

The third major obstruction to India taking a sympathetic view of
Kashmir is the problem of trans-national jihad. Throughout the 1990s,
Kashmir’s indigenous movements for azadi have received varying degrees
of support, in the form of funds, arms, fighting men, and ideological
solidarity, not only from the government of Pakistan, but also from
Islamist forces all across Central Asia and the Middle East. The reality
of Pakistani support, and the presence of foreign fighters, from an
Indian perspective, damages the claim for azadi beyond repair.

Kashmiri exceptionalism in fact has an old history. Yet even if we do
not want to go as far back as pre-modern and colonial times, then at the
very least right from 1947, Kashmir has never really broken away
completely like the parts of British India that became Pakistan, nor has
it assimilated properly, like the other elements that formed the Indian
republic. The status of Kashmir has always been uncertain, in free
India. But with the involvement of pan-Asian or global Islamist players,
starting with Pakistan but by no means limited to it, the past gives way
to the present. India no longer deals with Kashmir as though it were
still the place that was ruled by a Hindu king until 1947 and never
fully came on board the Indian nation in the subsequent 50 years. It now
looks upon Kashmir as the Indian end of the burning swath of Islamist
insurgency that engulfs most of the region. In quelling azadi the Indian
state sees itself as engaged in putting out the much larger fires of
jihad that have breached the walls of the nation and entered into its
most inflammable – because Muslim-majority – section.

Secularism, the Pandits and jihad are all very real impediments to India
actually being able to see what is equally real, namely, the Kashmiri
longing for azadi. Kak explained to his viewers that to be able to
portray azadi from the inside, he had to get through and past these
barriers, to the place where Kashmiris inhabit their peculiar and tragic
combination of resistance and vulnerability, their dream of a separate
identity and their confrontation with an overwhelmingly powerful
adversary. Their misery is palpable but they have yet to find a politics
adequate to transform dissatisfaction into independence. Kashmiris do
not agree on a singular meaning of the word “azadi”. Meanwhile, in the
face of brute oppression, they do not fully fight back, but they do not
submit either.

Kak subtly captures their strangeness as a people: they recount how they
lost sons and husbands to a random, ubiquitous and unforgiving violence,
and, in the midst of gruesome narrations, offer the questioner tea. They
walk among the dead, through lots covered with marked and unmarked
graves, speaking of the departed in a weird idiom that mixes the
language of martyrdom with the everydayness of life that must continue.
Their poets, whether Muslim or Pandit, compose verses that in Kashmiri,
Urdu or English carry the same unmistakable note of pain, even as they
mirror a landscape of mountain lakes, blooming flowers and
delicately-hued skies. (A few years ago Amar Kanwar’s documentary “Night
of Prophecy” also brought to Indian audiences the same poignancy of
poetry written by Kashmiris that confronts torture, disappearance and
death in a place of unearthly natural beauty). Their traditional
entertainers, village bards and clowns, called “Pather Bhand”, remember
their patron, the medieval pir (Sufi saint) Zain ul Abidin, or Zain
Shah, and tell tales of war and destitution with a mischievous
light-heartedness that makes you cry instead of making you laugh. Women
cover their heads but look at the camera with unnerving directness,
insouciant, beleaguered but never submissive. These are a wry people,
part defeated, part unconquerable.

Their breathtakingly beautiful land stands at the crossroads of East
Asian, Central Asian and South Asian cultures. For centuries, different
races, religions and ethnicities have trampled through Kashmir, subduing
its people on their way. But the Kashmiri language bears little
relationship to any other languages of Persia, India, Afghanistan, Tibet
or China, its nearest neighbours. Kashmir has always kept its head down
as the winds of history have blown over and across the mountains, turned
inward in an isolation that feeds the desire for azadi but does not
provide the political wherewithal, the canniness, to carve out a
separate nation in a world where might makes right.

Here the Indian Army arrives, 1 Indian soldier to every 10 Kashmiris.
Here the Indian tourists arrive, as Kak shows us, sledding in snowy
Gulmarg, dressing up in “native” costume to have photographs taken in
the Mughal Gardens of Srinagar, calling blood-spattered Kashmir a
veritable Paradise. Here the sadhus in saffron robes arrive, on their
way to the holy shrine at Amarnath, on their annual pilgrimage,
invoking, in the same breath, the Hindu god Shiva and the Indian flag,
the “tiranga” (“tri-colour”). You cannot take away what is ours, say
these people. Ah, but you cannot keep what was never yours, either.
India for Indians; Kashmir for Kashmiris: this is the fugitive logic
that the filmmaker is seeking to make explicit.

Kak has set himself a nearly impossible task. He must take Indians with
him, on his difficult journey, past their prejudices, past their
suspicions, past their very real fears, into the nightmarish world of
Kashmiri citizens, torn apart between the militants and the military,
stuck with the after-effects of bombings, mine-blasts, crackdowns,
arrests, encounter killings and disappearances that have gone on for
nearly two decades without pause. I became interested in Kashmir at the
same time, for the same reason, that Kak began his investigations: the
trial of S.A.R. Geelani, accused and later acquitted in the December 13,
2001 Parliament Attack case. In 2005 I wrote a couple of articles about
Geelani, a Kashmiri professor of Arabic and Persian Literature at Delhi
University, for this and other Indian publications. These earned me
denouncements as anti-national, self-hating, anti-Hindu, pro-Pakistani,
crypto-Muslim, etc. One letter to the editor even called me a terrorist!

Kak has already had a taste of this reaction since the release of
“Jashn-e-Azadi” in March, and must expect more of it to be coming his
way in the next few months, as his film is shown widely in India and
abroad. In fact, he is sure to get more flak that I ever got, given he
is a Kashmiri Pandit. Aggressively Hindu nationalist, right-wing Pandit
groups find Kak’s empathy for Kashmiri Muslim positions infuriating, a
“betrayal” that enrages them much more than that of a merely
(apparently) Hindu – non-Pandit – sympathizer like myself.

But like Israeli refuseniks, there is reason to believe that now India
too has its own nay-sayers, who cannot condone the presence of the
Indian armed forces in Kashmir or the continued refusal of the Indian
state to engage with Kashmiris on the question of azadi. Kak himself
makes the comparison to Palestine by calling the azadi movement of the
early 90s “Kashmir’s Intifada”. What allows someone like me – born,
raised and educated in India, secular, committed to the longevity and
flourishing of the Indian nation in every sense – to get, as it were,
the meaning, the reality, and the validity, of Kashmir’s agonized search
for azadi? Why do I not want my army to take or keep Kashmir by force,
or my fellow-citizens to enjoy their annual vacations as unthinking,
insensitive tourists, winter or summer? Why do abandoned Pandit
homesteads affect me as much as charred Muslim houses, and why do I
think that neither will be rebuilt and re-inhabited, nor will they be
full of life as they once were, unless first and foremost, the military
bunkers are taken down?

The answer comes from my own history, the history of India. If ever
there was a people who ought to know what azadi is, and to value it, it
is Indians. 60 years ago India attained its own azadi, long sought, hard
fought, and bought at the price of a terrible, irreparable Partition. My
parents were born in pre-Independence India, and to them and those of
their generation, it is possible to recall a time before azadi. Kak’s
film incorporates video footage from the early 1990s, taken from sources
he either cannot or will not reveal. In those images of Kashmiris
protesting en masse on the streets of Srinagar, funeral processions of
popular leaders, women lamenting the dead as martyrs in the path of
azadi, terrorist training camps, the statements of torture victims about
to breathe their last and BSF operations ending in the surrender of
militants, the seething passions of nationalism come right at you from
the screen, leaping from their context in Kashmir and connecting back to
the mass movements of India’s long struggle against British colonialism,
from 1857 to 1947.

No Indian viewer, in those moments of collective and euphoric protest
against oppression, could fail to be moved, or to be reminded of how it
was that we came to have something close to every Indian heart: our
political freedom, our status as an independent nation, in charge of our
own destiny. The irony is that azadi is not something we do not and
cannot ever understand, but that it is something we know all about,
intimately, from our own history. What frightens us is not the alien
nature of the sentiment in every Kashmiri breast: what frightens is its
familiarity, its echo of our own desire for nationhood that found its
voice, albeit after great bloodshed, six decades ago.

The British and French invented modern democracy at home, but colonized
the rest of the world. The Jews suffered the Holocaust, but Israel
brutalizes Palestine. India blazed the way for the decolonization of
dozens of Asian and African countries, and established itself as the
world’s largest democracy, yet it turns away from Kashmir and its quest
for freedom, and worse, goes all out to crush the will of the Kashmiri
people. Indians with a conscience – and perhaps Kak’s film will help
sensitize and educate many more, especially the young – ought not stand
for this desecration of the very ground upon which our nationality
rests. After all, we learnt two words together – “azadi” and “swaraj”,
freedom and self-rule – and on these foundations was our nation built.

We are a people who barely two generations ago not only fought for our
own freedom – our leaders, Gandhi, Nehru, Ambedkar, and so many others,
taught the whole of the colonized world how to speak the language of
self-respect and sovereignty. We of all people should strive for a time
when it will become possible for a Kashmiri to offer a visitor a cup of
tea without rancour or irony, as a simple uncomplicated expression of
the hospitality that comes naturally to those who belong to this
culture. We should join the Kashmiris in their search for a city
animated by commerce and conversation, not haunted by the ghosts of the
dead and the fled. We should support them, whether they be Muslims or
Hindus, in turning their grief, so visible in Kak’s courageous work of
witnessing, into a genuine “jashn”, a celebration, of a freedom that has
been too long in the coming.

Anything less would make us lesser Indians.

--
www.sarai.net

Vivek Narayanan
The Sarai Programme
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29,Rajpur Road,
Civil Lines
Delhi 110 054.