[Reader-list] Reply to junaid mails on Invasion of Indian culture

Partha Dasgupta parthaekka at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 13:49:07 IST 2007

Dear Dhatri,

Once again you jump around the debate on a tangent which has no relevance to
what Junaid had mentioned. Also, since Sarai is a public forum for debate,
we all raise issues here - like the one you had raised about Zero being
discovered by India.

In any case, to go back to the points you raised.

1.   Jammu & Kashmir being a "Hindu" kingdom.
      If you are referring to the rulers being 'Hindu', then Junaid has
shown you the fallacy.
      If you refer to the majority being 'Hindu' then that to is a fallacy.
Firstly because J&K
      has a large Muslim population as well as Tribals. I presume you are
aware that a
      'Hindu' is one who believes in the trinity of Bramha, Vishnu and Shiva
- and that
      tribals follow Yakshas and Yakhsis - which means that they are not
'Hindu'.
      Further, India is not a 'Hindu' country. The only Hindu nation I'm
aware of is Nepal.

      And as you must be aware, the Hindu king there has caused much pain
and death
      till there was a public revolt.

      The 'India' you are referring to pre-independence was actually a
non-federation of
      independents rulers (who would more often than not be warring and
looting other
      kingdoms).

      And if you really want to go that far back, shouldn't  'India' reject
all tribes but the
      Dravid's who are the original inhabitants of this geographical place.

      By your logic of everyone being 'migrants', then all races in India
other
      than Dravid's are migrants. So, are you going to give up your claim to
India?

      More importantly, you seem to continuously get confused between
religion and
      the region of people. If for example a Bengali converts to Buddhism,
would you
      insist on sending him to Japan (even though Buddhism's roots are in
India) or
      if he converted to being a Muslim does that change the fact that he's
still a
      Bengali?

     I do hope you have read up on Indian history and discovered that many
INDIAN
     people converted to Islam because of oppression by caste. They are
still residents
     of India with an equal right to vote or express their opinion.

2.   You use Wikepedia as a reference (and so do I). However, as an IT
professional am
      aware that Wikepedia is a collective effort where anyone can make a
post. And that
      the veracity of information there is not complete - which is why it
gives references to
      places it has used information from as 'probable' history.

3.   The article you've mentioned about the Kohinoor makes it very clear
that most of it's
      sources are rumours and hearsay - which is why the mention conflicting
sources and
      claims so that the reader is open to make his / her interpretation. It
also makes it clear
      that ownership claims have been made by India, Pakistan, Afghanistan
and Iran as the
      actual origin is a matter of historical dispute.

4.   From what I understood of Junaid's mail, he talked about the existence
and oppression
      of Muslims in the princely state of J&K (which didn't have much to do
with the Kohinoor
      or the Peacock Throne) which is why there was a revolt - much like
there is one in the
      Hindu nation of Nepal.

5.   From what little I've read and understood, Indian history and tradition
is a mix of Mughal,
      Mongol, Portugese, Dravid, Roman, Grecian, Aryan and a host of other
influences. The
      thought of India I have always loved as a secular nation (even before
independence,
      actually) that assimilated concepts and people - inclusive and
not exclusive.
If you
      really are a follower of Indian tradition then look at how we
inculcated all these influences
      (including English as an official language!) and used it to grow and
move forward instead
      of closing our minds.

Finally, are we looking at a resolution, are are we insistent upon staying
enveloped in blind hate that shouts down everything except our angst
irrespective of the logic. Maybe Juniad's angst is not as recent as yours,
but it does exist, as does yours.

So, what do we do? Keep fighting on small irrelevant issues like the
Kohinoor or look at a way to resolve the larger issue that is causing so
much pain, death and misery?

What's more important?

If you still think that your mail was not off on a tangent from the issues
raised by Junaid, please fell free to correct me. However, I could not find
any link between the points raised by Junaid and your response, or any facts
behind your claims (with even Wikepedia making it abundantly clear that it
can not verify sources).

Rgds, Partha

--
Partha Dasgupta