[Reader-list] The importance of names???

gowhar fazli gowharfazili at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 18:38:49 IST 2007

I am bamboozled  by your response gowhar2... or 1 for
that matter let me take a deep breath... recover n
then respond!

--- gowhar yaqoob <gowharjacob at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> When Shakespeare wrote: "What's in the name",
> perhaps his sensibility was gliding through a truly
> liberated psyche of populace, yet, when Oscar Wilde
> wrote: The Importance of being an Earnest, there was
> along with Wilde's well-known wit an unmistakble
> insistence to capture within the matrix an
> Imposition fulfilled through the jargons! (names).
>
>   Ofcourse to many just a semantic quibble, is
> 'baptizing' (naming) not an issue replete with the
> diktats (pro-government or otherwise) with
> linguistic politics getting under way and hasn't the
> historical deceit(s) taught us how names were made
> accessible for indexing - writing (deforming) the
> past(s); henceforth imposing many unknown
> potrait(s): of people(s), citie(s), culture(s)
> through juxtapositions untimely to manifest the
> hegemony.
>
>   Yes, the two names 'Anathnag' and 'Islambaad'
> would continue to remain interchangeable as long as
> certain provocations would not allign again towards
> some form of deceit (political correctness). ''Some
> fools politicize the names and insist on using one
> or the other." If it were so naive?  A well worked
> out conviction that decide to priviledge one of the
> binaries is not at all just a fool's politics.... It
> harps at deeper levels beyond people's recognition;
> with redoing and undoing of the past(s) with which
> the present (whatever) is legitimized, and hegemony
> ("pro-government" or "otherwise") imposed further !
>

>   gowhar fazli <gowharfazili at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   The two names 'Anathnag' and 'Islambaad' were/are
> used
> interchangeably in daily conversation. Some fools
> politicize the names and insist on using one or the
> other. But the larger population keeps insisting on
> the mistake/s.
>
> Who is this naming aunty Indian State? What right
> does
> the Indian state have to confer names to places?
> People use whatever they like and there is no need
> for
> bans or conferment or to get worked up about this.
> How
> can you prevent people from calling a place whatever
> they want to call it? You can't use military or
> militant diktats to impose names. It wont work. The
> name controversy is a big joke.
>
> I buy all the myths about kohimaran, Kari parbat,
> killah, shankracharya, takhte suleiman and so do
> most
> people. As a child, it made Srinagar an interesting
> place to live in. Imagine all the deamons, rishis
> and
> prophets flying around! One knew then to relish a
> story....
>

> There is this other insistence on making Baramulla,
> Varmul to make it sound more Kashmiri and in the
> same
> vein, Kupwara-Kopwor Pulwama-Pulwom and so on...
> This
> is the hight of self-righteousness. As though by
> doing
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Unfortunately, the balance of nature decrees that a super-abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares.

Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.

Peter Ustinov