[Reader-list] The importance of names???

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 23:08:08 IST 2007

PLEASE CLICK
http://indersalim.livejournal.com for image (parodied, an illustration
from Derrida for beginners )

1.  First a little joke : there was Pandit in south of Kashmir who
named his four sons as Ram, Vishun, Krishan, and Shanker. One good
neighbour asked him why he named his sons like this. Aptly he
answered,  that at the moment of his death when he will utter the name
of any of his sons, it will be also about Parmatma (Gods). Time
passed, and it just happened that all his sons abandoned him. So, at
the time of death he  simply managed to utter MUHAMMADA'.

( please feel free to hear the sound Muhammada merely as shell for the
disappeared sounds of his dear sons. Or the sound Muhammada had
nothing to do with the earlier calculations, but functioned as a
simple material available at the time of need)

2.  When Aga Shahid Ali recollected 'Kashmir' as many other
arrangements of different  alphabets, he perhaps underlined the fact
that Kashmir is truly politicized and it has a written history.….

Sounds are part of visuals as we know in Cinema even, and therefore,
any sound which is uttered in Kashmir makes a difference. Or may be I
only feel it so strongly ?

So, I believe, in Kashmir, every blade of grass is politicized.  Every
window looks different. I am not talking about the abandoned houses,
but I felt this difference in the most recent constructions even.

One can observe in Kashmir 'Anantnag' as the written word and
'Islambaad' as the oral tradition.  So if I apply a little Derrida
here like a good mathematician, then the written word is 'degenerate'
in comparison to 'speech' which is natural.   Of course, with
Kashmiri Pandit population  in Kashmir 'Anthnag' was the oral and
'Anantnag' was the written. The sound  Islambaad was always something
Pakistani. But first of all, do we agree that 1990 changed things
dramatically in Kashmir and surprised  many a political pandits here
and abroad.  Here, again if we see kashmiri armed uprising as mere
terrorism then we cannot understand the  relationship between Anantnag
( the written ) and the Islambaad ( the oral ). We need to see why
political is paramount in every sound. The word ' Azadi ' too is
written in many sense, but the sound oral 'Aazadee' is interesting and
is uttered by invariable by Kashmiris in Kashmir.  Yasin Malik's
Safray Azadi is again a written version of the same political struggle
and is likely to under-represent the core ' aazadee' of the masses.
Things will change, and it would be interesting to see how the oral
word devours the written in the end, and how finally meaning is like
that serpent devouring its own tail. But till then it is political,
and the hidden demand for Islambaad is not out of place.

3.    Oscar Wilde once said , 'the world does not exist beyond
appearances'. That is  quite profound, I guess.  Because when we are
dealing with language which is behaving truly as a vast surface then
we have something at hand, even to subvert, to arrive at new sounds,
new life. Here, even silence becomes part of those liberated sounds
that float…

" What is in the name " is liberating but how to throw the sound '
rose' into the sea. It will return back as a slave monster who yearns
for ' aazadee', so it might be a better idea to open the petals of the
rose without letting the petals know what is opening.  Quite a
difficult job, as deconstruction itself is, or may be it is as simple
as breathing.

How lucidly Lall Ded said ' Mov zaan Haindu tai musalmaan….( please
don't discriminate between Hindu and Musalmaan, if ur are truly
thoughtful, be one with God)  That was 600-700 years ago when oral
tradition was strongly in practice as we see in other cultures as
well. We celebrate the sound.That is culture as well.

4.    Gowhar Fazili has rightly pointed out   " How can you prevent
people from calling a place whatever they want to call it? You can't
use military or militant diktats to impose names "   That is precisely
what is happening in Kashmir. For example, there is a CRPF sign board
in Srinage Lal Chowk which reads ' Hum aap ki azadi ki nigahbani
kartay hein. "  (We guard your freedom ).  Though ironical, but, here
again the Azadi is as written word, and that is why there is J&K
Government in place. But the issue of ' aazadee' remains unresolved,
precisely because it is more and more a question of oral tradition
versus the written one now.  Of course when this too will behave as a
written word then this too needs a deconstruction, but till then…it is
political, or I only see it this way?

5.	Meem Hai Zafar ( Kashmiri poet, intellectual of Kashmir ) during
his discussion at Burzhama ( place near Dal Lake inhibited by people
during  2500 B.C )  with Gulshan Majeed, reader at Central Asian
Studies Kashmir University, talked about the need to inherit that past
without prejudice. Zafar regretted that Kashmiris hesitate to inherit
the past but feel proud  to inherit the properties of their deceased
elders. There was a past which existed in the material form as
researched scientifically by various scholars, and there should be a
debate on its real significance in the valley.  Indian policy to
balance the power politics in the recent past has damaged that
possibility immensely. They should restore whatever is left in the
valley.

Though it is another debate, but I remember, how G.R. Santosh, M.L.
Saqi regretted that India has never  bothered to name a road after
some great  Kashmiri sufi saint here in New Delhi . It is about
dignity as well. It is politics, now quite in the arrogant form in
Kashmnir, therefore, difficult to negotiate.

Now for an outsider, like India, to deny the right to function as
'naming aunty' in Kashmir is quite about that politics as well. There
is something which is breathing out there, we can feel it, or I am
alone feeling that way?

indersalim