[Reader-list] The importance of names???

we wi dhatr1i at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 18:25:43 IST 2007

Hi,

      If name doesn't  play an important role then

  1) why ancient PUSHKALAVAT/I (named then king Pushkal ,son of the BHARAT) changed as PURUSHPURA by kushan dynasty once again changed as PESHAWAR in Islamized Pakistan now?

  BHARAT Son of Dashrath and Kaikeyee of Ayodhyaa(still it is referred with the same name in India), Married to - Maandavee (Daughter of Kushdhwaj, the brother of Janak of Mithilaa) have 2 sons named as Taksh and Pushkal. Bharat inhabited two cities for his sons - Takshshilaa and Pushkalaavat for his two sons.

  2) Why TAKSHASHILA was changed to TAXILA?.

  Forget the university ransacking apart from the Nalanda. Those are not the only places where all books preserved and so as the research.

  3) Why the Greek mythology and literature was recorded by the so called historians in such a way that the king PURUSHOTHAM was mentioned as PORUS?.

  Probably people tongues are so ugly in such a way that original names could not be pronounced and they may unaware about tongue cleaner usage.  That's why changes happened?

  PS: Kashmir was used to refer as ABHISARA long ago.

  Regards,
  Dhatri.

gowhar fazli <gowharfazili at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I am bamboozled by your response gowhar2... or 1 for
that matter let me take a deep breath... recover n
then respond!

--- gowhar yaqoob wrote:

> When Shakespeare wrote: "What's in the name",
> perhaps his sensibility was gliding through a truly
> liberated psyche of populace, yet, when Oscar Wilde
> wrote: The Importance of being an Earnest, there was
> along with Wilde's well-known wit an unmistakble
> insistence to capture within the matrix an
> Imposition fulfilled through the jargons! (names).
>
> Ofcourse to many just a semantic quibble, is
> 'baptizing' (naming) not an issue replete with the
> diktats (pro-government or otherwise) with
> linguistic politics getting under way and hasn't the
> historical deceit(s) taught us how names were made
> accessible for indexing - writing (deforming) the
> past(s); henceforth imposing many unknown
> potrait(s): of people(s), citie(s), culture(s)
> through juxtapositions untimely to manifest the
> hegemony.
>
> Yes, the two names 'Anathnag' and 'Islambaad'
> would continue to remain interchangeable as long as
> certain provocations would not allign again towards
> some form of deceit (political correctness). ''Some
> fools politicize the names and insist on using one
> or the other." If it were so naive? A well worked
> out conviction that decide to priviledge one of the
> binaries is not at all just a fool's politics.... It
> harps at deeper levels beyond people's recognition;
> with redoing and undoing of the past(s) with which
> the present (whatever) is legitimized, and hegemony
> ("pro-government" or "otherwise") imposed further !
>

> gowhar fazli wrote:
> The two names 'Anathnag' and 'Islambaad' were/are
> used
> interchangeably in daily conversation. Some fools
> politicize the names and insist on using one or the
> other. But the larger population keeps insisting on
> the mistake/s.
>
> Who is this naming aunty Indian State? What right
> does
> the Indian state have to confer names to places?
> People use whatever they like and there is no need
> for
> bans or conferment or to get worked up about this.
> How
> can you prevent people from calling a place whatever
> they want to call it? You can't use military or
> militant diktats to impose names. It wont work. The
> name controversy is a big joke.
>
> I buy all the myths about kohimaran, Kari parbat,
> killah, shankracharya, takhte suleiman and so do
> most
> people. As a child, it made Srinagar an interesting
> place to live in. Imagine all the deamons, rishis
> and
> prophets flying around! One knew then to relish a
> story....
>

> There is this other insistence on making Baramulla,
> Varmul to make it sound more Kashmiri and in the
> same
> vein, Kupwara-Kopwor Pulwama-Pulwom and so on...
> This
> is the hight of self-righteousness. As though by
> doing
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Unfortunately, the balance of nature decrees that a super-abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares.

Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.

Peter Ustinov