[Reader-list] Freedom of Expression my foot!

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 10:35:11 IST 2007

Dear Sadia,
I think we are using and understanding the phrase
"essential nature of state" differently,so we are
ending up talking through each other.In your
usage,essential nature of state is how it exists in
practice.So if India is a country where dalits are
oppressed,which I agree with incidentally, then
perhaps in your terms the oppression of the dalits is
the essential nature of the state.
But my usage is constitutional\legal.I wont say that
oppresion of dalits is an "essential nature of Indian
State",because the constitution does not enable the
oppression,quite the contrary in fact.
So for me,the essential nature of Indian state is a
"secular democracy".In a secular democracy inequity of
income may exist,and other "what ifs" that you have
mentioned may exist.That does not make them the
essential nature of the state,because the constitution
does not specifically enable them.
My argument is not on the lines of what is more
important or who is more patriotic;because that is
just sidestepping from the current topic.

regards
Rahul

=== message truncated ===