[Reader-list] Freedom of Expression my foot!

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 18:10:32 IST 2007

Sadia:)
I am not asking you to ignore them.So when I am saying
something is against the essential nature of state,I
do not mean how the state exists in practice.I do not
mean all those things you listed because the
constitution specifically does not enable them.For eg.
The income equity as it exists is not the essential
nature of state.All your scenarios to me become straw
men.
Anyway, this is my last word on this.
Cheers.
Rahul

--- "S.Fatima" <sadiafwahidi at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> No Rahul, the constitution and judiciary is
> certainly
> not against any citizen - I am not saying that the
> Dalit oppression exists because of the constitution.
>

> I am stressing on the practical aspect of judiciary/
> state since that's what counts. Nobody can endanger
> the essential nature of state if it is only a
> theoretical entity.
>
> Secular democracy means nothing as long as
> corruption
> and prejudice exists. We cannot ignore the practical
> examples.
>

> --- Rahul Asthana <rahul_capri at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Sadia,
> > I think we are using and understanding the phrase
> > "essential nature of state" differently,so we are
> > ending up talking through each other.In your
> > usage,essential nature of state is how it exists
> in
> > practice.So if India is a country where dalits are
> > oppressed,which I agree with incidentally, then
> > perhaps in your terms the oppression of the dalits
> > is
> > the essential nature of the state.
> > But my usage is constitutional\legal.I wont say
> that
> > oppresion of dalits is an "essential nature of
> > Indian
> > State",because the constitution does not enable
> the
> > oppression,quite the contrary in fact.
> > So for me,the essential nature of Indian state is
> > "secular democracy".In a secular democracy
> inequity
> > of
> > income may exist,and other "what ifs" that you
> have
> > mentioned may exist.That does not make them the
> > essential nature of the state,because the
> > constitution
> > does not specifically enable them.
> > My argument is not on the lines of what is more
> > important or who is more patriotic;because that is
> > just sidestepping from the current topic.
> >
> > regards
> > Rahul
> >
> > --- "S.Fatima" <sadiafwahidi at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Rahul
> > > Of course I am not in favour of somebody's
> freedom
> > > of
> > > expression which puts the national security at
> > risk.
> > > would certainly not like an action which helps
> in
> > > sinking the boat which I am also riding. But the
> > > point
> > > is, who should decide what is a security risk? A
> > > statement which is a painful truth for someone
> > could
> > > be a security risk for others.
> > >
> > > To extend your analogy a little, if the oarsman
> of
> > > the
> > > boat decides that a few travelers are his enemy
> > and
> > > tries to push them into the water, there will be
> > > clash where the victims may try to throw the
> [...]
=== message truncated ===