[Reader-list] By R.J. Rummel

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Sep 4 00:08:21 IST 2007

Dear Tapas,

I do not disagree with you at all. In fact you have said what I would
have wanted to say much better than I could have said it, and with
greater clarity than I could muster. My hunches in this matter are not
far from what you say. But that is my personal opinion.

That being said, neither you, nor I, can read into the interiority of
another person, so judgements about motive, are at best, speculative, if
not borne out by the unfolding of actual events, even if they are
speculative in an informed sense. So, in a sense, the jury is out on
that statement, it depends on what we in hindustani call 'aage aage hota
hai kya'. (on what lies ahead)

There is a public record, and Yasin Malik has made some statements on
the public recrod. That is a fact. The absence of a corresponding
apology from the 'other side' is also a fact.

What prompted Yasin Malik to make that statement, whom he made that
statement for, which gallery he was playing to - all these are matters
of speculation. And I am not interested in either extolling or
rubisshing him. In fact I am not interested in him, or his motives, at all.

Going by the same logic. The representatives of the Indian state, too,
could have, for the same set of audiences, that you point to, made a
similar gesture. Instead, all that we have on record is Mufti's abysmal
failure of the so called 'healing touch' policy, and Vajpayee's tepid
response to it.

I hold, as I said, no brief for any one in the murky waters of Kashmir,
least of all for Yasin Malik, but at least, in terms of savvy
realpolitik (whichI repeat is not a substantive political judgement) he
was, at the time when he made that declaration, ahead of his peers in
New Delhi.

I hope I have made myself abundantly clear now.

regards

Shuddha