[Reader-list] Two Iqbals & One Faiz

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 05:35:14 IST 2007

Hi Kshmendra,
Faiz was a "dehria" communist,if you know what I
mean.Iqbal was an Islamist.Being a poet and a
philosopher is not contrary to being an Islamist.So,in
that sense,there can be no greater contrast.
Iqbal's philosophy of religious existentialism-
mard-e-momin, khudi etc was based on Islam.I do not
see the same celebration of "khudi" in Faiz.
Also,Iqbal was not sufi either.Iqbal wrote a lot in
Persian.Poetry in every language has a soul of its
own.When you write in Persian,you cant but help poets
like Hafez and Rumi whispering in your ear;and the
mysticism rubs off on you.That can be found in Iqbal
too.But,Iqbal's philosophy has nothing to do with
sufism.In fact,my impression is that in his dialog
Iblees o Jibrael, he is deriding sufis-
"Main khataktaa hoon dile yazdaan mein kaante ki
tarah,
tu faqat, alla hoo alla hoo ,alla hoo."
This IMO, is Nietzsche style existentialism.

So,I really don't see much similarity in Faiz and
Iqbal besides the fact that they were the greatest
living Urdu poets of their times.

regards
Rahul

&lt;https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>