[Reader-list] shaman in the city -- independent fellowship postings

Rob van Kranenburg kranenbu at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 9 16:27:21 IST 2007

Hello Gyaltsen,

Very interesting. I've just been reading a book

Thinking Through Things. Theorising Artefacts Ethnographically.
Edited by Amiria Henare, Martin Holbraad and Sari Wastell. Routledge,
2007

to think of our bricolabs network as a network of people and things:

http://www.bricolabs.net/
http://lab.dyne.org/BricolabsCambridge2007
http://lab.dyne.org/BricolabsParis2007

and am delving into Alfred Gell's theory of Art and Agency.

Having tried to steer away from it, I've come to a point where
spirituality and the motile qualities of the shaman become essential
to the kind of change to overall generic infrastructures we are
planning,

Greetings! Rob

Introduction: thinking through things. Amaria Henare, Martin Holbraad
and Sari Wastell. ( p. 1- 32)

Argument: from ethnographic revelations to political revelations

"Even scholars dedicated to re-integrating materiality and culture in
response to the Riversian (and earlier Cartesian) segregation
continue to  struggle with theoretical lanhuages that presume an a
priori dinstinction between persons and things, matter and meaning,
representation and reality. Like the modish notion of ' hybridity'
the impetus towards reconnection turns on the presumption of initial
separation."

"The distinction between concepts and things ( which broadly
compasses other familiar dichotomies such as sense versus reference,
signified vs signifier, etc.) may be unhelpful, obnscuring
theoretical possibilities that might arise were the pre-emption of
such contrasts by the artefacts we study taken seriously."

"With purposeful naïveté, the aim of this method is to take 'things'
encountered in the field as they present themselves, rather than
immeiately assuming that they signify, represent, or stand for
something else."

"Rather than accepting that meanings are fundamentally seperate from
their material manifestations ( signifier v. signified, word v.
referent, etc.), the aim is to explore the consequences of an
apparently counter-intuitive possibility: that things might be
treated as sui generis meanings."

"So the starting-point instead is to treat meaning and thing as an
identity - and if the Aristotelian notion of essence was meant to
allow things to carry their definitive properties on their sleeve,
then the essentialism entertained here is indeed radical. For in the
image put forward, meanings are not 'carried' by things but just are
identical to them. Such a starting-point neutralises the question of
'knowledge' at the outset, because meanings - be they native
( relativism) or supra-cultural (universalism) - no longer need to be
excavated, illuminated, decoded and interpreted. What is proposed, in
effect, is an anthropology that holds issues of interpretation at bay."

"So in summary, behind the hope that an etnography of things may lead
to a revision of our analytical assumptions about what counts as 'a
thing' lie the possibility that those assumptions may be
inappropriate, and that other people's understandings on this score
( including not just their ideas about things but also their
assumptions) might be different from what we take to be our own when
writing anthropologically. The heuristic approach advocated here
seeks to animate these possibilities."

"A heuristic use of the term 'thing' has aalso been adopted by Bruno
Latour, who, after Heidegger, has worked to transform the semantic
emphasis of 'things' from 'matters of concern' (2004a). Drawing on
older etymologies in which 'thing' denoted a gathering place, a space
for discussion and negotiation, Latour has rehabilitated this sense
of the term as a way out of the twin culs-de-sac of constructivism
and objectivity."

"The way of anthropology's epistemological bind turns on a denial of
the key axiom of dualist ontology, namely that difference has to be
similarity what representation is to the world. For if one refuses to
attribute difference to culture and similarity to nature, the
circular coercion of dualism is rendered limp. In the scheme advanced
here, therefore, the presumption of natural unity and cultural
difference - epitomised in the anthropos - is no longer tenable ( cf
Argyrou 2002). If we are to take others seriously, instead of
reducing their articulations to mere ' cultural perspectives' or
'beliefs' (i.e. worldviews), we can conceive them as enunciations of
different 'worlds' or 'natures' without having to concede that this
is just shorthand for 'worldviews'. 10

"It is for this reason, for example, that the claim that when Cuban
diviners say that powder is power they are speaking of a different
powder ( and a different power also) is not a 'constructivist' claim
( cf. Latour 1999:21-3) To put it in Foucauldian ters, the point is
not that the discursive claims ( e.g. 'powder is power') order
reality in different ways - according to different 'regimes of truth'
- but rather that they create new objects ( e.g. powerful powder) in
the very act of enunciating new concepts (e.g. powerful powder)."

"...what is advanced here is a radical constructivism not dissimilar
to that envisaged by Deleuze ( Deleuze and Guattari 1994:7, 35-6)
Discourse can have effects not because it 'over-determines reality',
but because no ontological distinction between 'discourse' and
'reality' pertains in the first place. In other words, concepts can
bring about things becuase concepts and things just are one and the
same ( one and the same 'thing', we could say - using the term
heuristically)."

Separating and containing people and things in Mongolia. Rebecca
Empson. (113-135)

"The concept of 'fortune' (xishig) permeates many aspects of
Mongolian social life. It motivates practices that involve separating
(avax, salgax), a piece from a person, animal, or thing at moments of
departure or transition, and then containing (xadgalax) it in a
different form.

... the doing involved in making things visible or invisible makes
relations. In this sense 'vision' becomes the tool by which relations
are created." 113

"...objects, like  humans, contain another dimension another
dimension of the visible world and something of the essence of the
person is thought to adhere to their belongings." 114

The Power of Powder. Multiplicity and motion in the divinatory
cosmology of Cuban Ifa ( or mana, again). Martin Holbraad (189-219)

"If the motility of powder dissolves the  problem of transcendence
versus immanence for babalawos, then motility also dissolves the
problem of concept versus thing for us. And this because the latter
problem is just an instance of the former. After all, the notion of
transcendence is just a way of expressing the very idea of
ontological separation. And ontological separation is what a non-
motile logic posits at the hiatus that is supposed to divide concepts
from things. Motility, on the other hand, turns on the idea that
ontological differences do not amount to separations at all, but
rather to intensive and 'self-scaling' transformations. Thus, just
like in a motile logical universe powder can be power, deities can be
marks on the divining board, and so forth, so concepts and things can
also be each other. All it takes is to stop thinking of concepts and
things as self-identical entities, and start imagining them as self-
differential motions."

Motility is a biological term which refers to the ability to move
spontaneously and independently. It can apply to either single-celled
or multicellular organisms. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motility)