[Reader-list] Two Iqbals & One Faiz

kirdar singh kirdarsingh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 19:10:53 IST 2007

Dear Shuddha/others
I am probably being an andhon mein kana (a deaf among the blind) while
discussing Urdu poetry on Sarai, but I can imagine that the real
Urdu-wallahs would be quite amused to see what sort of absurd
interpretations go on here (when the discussants are not fully aware
of the real meanings/contexts of the words and phrases). Though I am
not saying that the non-Urdu wallahs have no right to interprete
things in their own unconventional way. But it would help if we got to
know the language and its history a little more before stretching
"karega-karegi" beyond its limits.
Of course Urdu-Hindi grammer is a bit awkward in deciding the gender
of things/concepts - like this khalqat, khalq-e khuda, bheed, is alway
feminine, while hujoom and majma is masculine, and no one knows why.
But by limiting ourselves to a connection between Faiz and Sikh
slogans, are we assuming that these are the only examples of Raaj
karega and karegi. Such words/phrases are being used in poetry since
the time of Vali Dakkani and Quli Qutb Shah. I have even heard folk
lyrics for Rani of Jhansi where she would surely "Raaj karegi". But
why force all of your 3000 subscribers to such non-issues.

I think people on Sarai, especially Shuddha, have this art of taking
the most mundane of ideas and spicing them up with jargon and
presenting it as the most profound statment on the earth. Even the
experts are left speechless. And when things come from Stanbul, or
while packing the bags for the morning flight, things acquire even
higher levels of scholarship.

cheers

Kirdar