[Reader-list] On 'Khalq-e-Khuda'

kirdar singh kirdarsingh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:11:17 IST 2007

Dear Shuddha
You are lucky that your job takes you places and provides you all the
time in the world to research and write lengthy notes on Sarai. I am a
bit hard pressed for time and would only try to scratch from whatever
my old memory I have on this issue.

Your long treatise comparing Urdu/Persian/Arabic/Bengali is
impressive, but you are unneccesarily bent upon connecting the word
khalq with Khuda. What I am trying to say is that the world khalq has
been used in many other simpler and mundane contexts too. Khalq is not
always a creation of God (literally it maybe). If I write a phrase
such as "Khalqat hai tamashai" (which is incidentally from a couplet)
would it always mean "the creation of god is the spectator"? No, I
could probably be writing about the spectators of a football match.
Why do we have to seek and find divine/ethereal meanings in every
word. By the way, who says that khalq can be both singular or plural?
Can you give me an example of the use of it as both? I am not
convinced with your example. And where on earth did you find the
phrase "Khalq Allah" being used?? I maybe ignorant but I would like to
know a reference for my own knowledge.

Also, what are you going to do about words like Ikhlaq or Ikhlaqiyaat
(Ethics) which come from the same root - that doesn't carry the nuance
of God's creation. It would be interesting to read the older down-to
earth poets such Nazeer, Wali and others to see the variety of context
in which they have used both khalqat/makhlooq as well as the the
gender specifications of concepts.

Forget about the older classicist poets - some of today's great
Urdu/Persian/Islamicate poets are using these words in many different
contexts. Any way, this Karega/karegi is a non-issue to me, not
because I am a Urdu-wallah (which I am not), but because it doesn't
lead us anywhere. I know Sarai is a clearinghouse of ideas, but at
times our tangents are so multi-directional that one loses the fun in
trying to pick up the threads - so much time gets wasted here - I
would rather spend that time writing poetry or listening to good
music.

I apologize if my comment about your reporting from Istambol or
elsewhere rubs you on wrong side - I was only wondering if your
comments would carry the same weight if you wrote sitting in nowhere
(or in Punjabi Bagh). I have no problem if you wrote a travelogue from
Istambol - I really did enjoy those portions in your post. But when
you try to give a looking-down-upon-Delhi-from-Istambul perspective on
the issues at hand here, then it sounds a bit show-off.
Any way, enjoy yourself.

KS