[Reader-list] On 'Khalq-e-Khuda'

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Sep 12 12:49:31 IST 2007

Dear Kirdar,

Many thanks for your post. You are right, there are independent and
autonomous usages of the word 'Khalq', especially as 'the people' that
exist in Arabic, Persian and Urdu. So, for instance the Peoples
Democratic Party of Afghanistan (the Communist Part of Afghanistan) had
two factions - Parcham (Banner/Flag) and Khalq (The People). Such that
it was possible to refer to PDPA(Parcham) and PDPA(Khalq), just as we
say CPI, CPI(M) and CPI(M-L).

However, the fact remains that the word 'Khalq' as signifying
'people/human beings' in any language is in a sense derivative from its
specific meaning and etymological origin in Arabic as 'the creation of
god' - because - human beings are the zenith, as far as 'the creation of
God' is considered in Islamic thinking. And 'Khalq' is one of the two
forms of creation in Arabic. I will elaborate on this a little later.

Having said that, I find it actually interesting that the word 'Khalq'
has moved from the sacred to the profane/mundane register - as you
correctly point out. It points to an inventive de-sacralization of the
term, especially by later writers. Such that even an avowedly atheist
poet like Faiz would use 'Khalq'or 'Khalq e Khuda' without a thought. Or
that a Communist Party faction in Afghanistan would use the word to
identify itself (again without any problems or crises of identity). This
shows that words change meaning and register with time. It is a natural
process that happens in all languages. And it is quite refreshing to
free words and terms from the meaning with which they have been
originally endowed, and bestow new significances to them. That is
probably one of the basic tasks of literary creativity. And I am all for
profane, even radically de-sacralized readings of all terms that may
have originally had a more rigorously 'theological' gloss.

So, sometimes, in colloquial Hindustani, I have heard of a 'bribe' being
referred to as 'Prasad'(a blasphemous usage no doubt, given 'prasad's'
original meaning of being that which is left behind by the Gods for us
to consume after they have been sated). But I quite like this (profane)
usage, especially because I know that it somehow subverts the gravitas
of the ritual usage.

I suspect that later Urdu/Arabic/Persian poets and readers feel a
similar delight in de-sacralizing words like 'Khalq. Poets like Faiz do
it on occasion, Ghalib does it often (he toys quite often with the
blasphemous), even sometimes like Noon Meem Rashid, is particularly fond
of 'de-sacralizing' the corpus of otherwise 'sacred words and concepts'.

In fact, in Arabic, there is a whole corpus or genre, known as 'mujun'
(from which we get 'mauj') writing, which delights in the radical
profanation (often with sexual connotations) of sacred terms.
Interestingly, you find instances of 'mujun' tucked away in the
interstices of very high minded philosophical and theological treatises
(for the entertainment of the exhausted alim, or religious scholar).
This just goes to show the immense distance that Islamicate cultures
have travelled (unfortunately in the direction of constricted speech, in
present times)

Be that as it may, when it comes to a detailed lexical analysis of a
word, and thinking about why it is to be read in a singular or plural
sense, or why it naturally moves to the feminine gender when found in
gramatically gendered languages, then we have to try and do the lexical
detective work of trying to find its original sense, in its original
language. And I was merely trying to see why the term 'Khalq-e-Khuda'
was glossed in the feminine case, as opposed, as you correctly point out
, other words like 'Majma' or 'Hujoom' (which also denote 'gatherings'
or collectivities) and which, unlike 'Khalq' tend towards the default
masculine case in grammatically gendered languages.

I have no doubts about the fact that the original sense of the Arabic
triple consonant cluster - 'khe-lam-qaf' (which gives us 'Khalq' and
from which stem an entire family of words like 'Ikhlaq', 'Makhlooq',
'Khalqat' all of which have different shades of contextual meaning-
including 'ethics' for Ikhlaqiyat (the question of ethics is after all
related to the predicament of being human, and the situation of being
endowed with 'free will' which is a special marker of the zenith of
God's creation - the 'Khalq', or human beings). Quranic Arabic has two
terms for creation - one being 'Ibda' (creation ex nihilo - creation
from nothing, the original creation of the universe) and the other being
'Khalq' (creation from something, from an already created substance -
which is the case with animate life). Which is why the term used for all
living beings in their general collective sense is 'Khalqat'.

Can I give you references ? - Unfortunately right now I am typing this
off the top of my head, sitting in a 'nowhere' between places. So I do
not have them at hand. But any standard Arabic lexicon or grammar will
give you a sense of the special nominative cases and the exceptional
nouns that default into the feminine reading when they are expressed in
the collective sense (as for instance 'Khalq' does). For detailed
'theological' understandings of the word 'Khalq' a good place to start
(and something that is accessible in India) is the work of Shah Wali
Ullah (most of which is available in Urdu, being translated from the
original Arabic and Persian).

As for the phrase 'Khalq Allah' that is easy, consult any list of
attributes/names of the prophet Muhammad (called 'Asma-un-Nabi'), and
you will come across the word 'Khayr-al-Khalq-Allah' (the greatest of
God's creations), you even find 'Sa'ad-ul-Khalq' (the joy of creation)
and so forth. I suspect that if you google the phrase Khalq Allah, you
will come across a large number of sites that contain the 'asma un nabi'
list. More specifically, as far as my memory goes, (I could be wrong in
terms of detail here, as it has been a while since I looked this sort of
thing up) there is a text called  'Tahdhib al-asma' (short form of a
much longer title which translates roughly as 'the emendation/list of
the Names and Attributes') by the 12th century Damascene scholar al
Nawawi which is one of the earliest compilation of names, in which you
are bound to find the phrase 'Khayr al Khalq Allah'.

Finally, a note on location, again. I take your point about the marking
of location as an inflection on the power of address (pun intended). I
did not think of 'Istanbul' as 'on high' compared to Delhi. I had
invoked Istanbul, mainly in a somewhat hap-hazard attempt at addressing
what Naeem and Gargi and others have been discussing as the
'Indo-Centric' nature of our discussions. Usually, when I write on the
list, I find myself in a modified barsaati in Old Rajendra Nagar (not
even as glamorous as Punjabi Bagh, which at least has the ring road to
give it gravitas and significance.)I have never thought that such a
location had an impact on what I do or do not say, so, similarly,
finding myself in Istanbul, I did not think that it had any import on
the 'worth' of what I was saying. But thank you, in any case for making
me think about the significance of the 'location' of the writer in
geographical terms. It may yield something useful at some later date.

As for whether or not, these discussions waste time on the list. Of that
I can never be sure. Reading the things that came up in the exchange
between Yasir, Kshemendra, you and Ramaswamy, made me re-visit some of
the things that I have been interested in for a long time. I do not
think our 'interests' and curiosities have to be 'useful'. In fact the
tyranny of 'utility' and 'function' is something I personally find very
limiting, in ordinary discourse, it limits the adventures our thoughts
can have. It is up to the reader, whether he or she wants to enter some
of the obscure corners of these adventures. Nothing dictates that you,
or anyone else, has to. You can always hit 'delete', or decide to keep
and read later, to respond, or not to respond. I do all of the above.

Apologies for saying more than was probably necessary, again.

regards,

Shuddha

PS : Who is an Urdu-Wallah? Someone who Urdu belongs to (as in someone
who lays a claim to Urdu) or as someone who belongs to Urdu (as in
someone whom Urdu lays a claim to)? As with other vexed questions of
belonging, I have never found a satisfactory claim to this question. My
personal preference is inclined towards saying that an Urdu-Wallah is
anyone who lays a claim (however appropriate or inappropriate, justified
or unjustified) on Urdu. But, I am open to other understandings of this
phrase.

best

S.