[Reader-list] Indo-centrism On Sarai

Swadhin Sen swadhin_sen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 00:04:21 IST 2007

Dear Madhumita

Although your mail addressed both me and Naeem, my personal
sketchy remarks on your questions are as follows:

BUT, the question is: To what extent do you feel that it is
a valid move to (claim to) work in/on/about 'Bangla,' given that the project will tilt

towards Indian films? Does the claiming of a linguistic category end up

erasing important geopolitical and historical differences -- or does it work usefully against the seemingly pervasive insistence on state-based distinctions, which are only 60 years old in our context?

-
I do not endorse the position which assumes that
‘linguistic categories’ could be conceptually separated from ‘geopolitical and
historical’ differences. I am skeptical about success of your intention to
‘work in linguistic unit’ (and not primarily geopolitical ones). I think the
‘linguistic units’ are enmeshed into ‘geopolitical ones’. It does not matter whether
our state based distinctions are 60 years old or not. Because, even before the
partition, there were variations in the languages of West and the East (Now
Bangladesh). I want to view language as a representative system in which
question of power and authority are crucial for cultural and political
transactions and translation. The variations of dialects of Bangladesh
are stereotyped, homogenized and distorted in mainstream films and electronic
media of West Bengal. Bhanu Bandopadhaya was pioneer in
the sarcastic and comical representation of the dialect of East
 Bengal or East Pakisthan or present Bangladesh.
The continuation of the same practice is common in Taliwood films and Soaps
& variety shows in E-media of Kolkata.

-
The question of whether a linguistic category end up
erasing… differences’ is not very interesting for me. Rather I am interested to
question the conditions that destroy older categories and construct newer ones
for legitimizing various ways and means of domination and control. Most
notably, I think, the parties (or agents) involved with these reconfiguration
processes are unequal in their power to borrow, insert and translate. ‘State’
(more precisely modern state) act as a universal condition in these unequal
exchanges where ‘we’ (and you) cannot act as autonomous and sovereign subject
(as it is usually taken for granted in liberal ideals).

-
Now if I take India
and Bangladesh
(or west Bengal and Bangladesh)
for example we may find that while we the Banglaeshis are optionless consumers
of the film and media representations from Hindi and Bangla (kolkata version)
domain, the people from the other part of the boundary are not. The statist
conditions controlled by various legal and juridical and as well as ideological
apparatuses do not give us (and you) any other options to choose from. You can’t
see the mainstream films and visual narratives produced in different mediums of
Bangladesh.
Your vision and horizons of arguments, thus, are subjected by inequality where
we are active only in the selection from those which we are permitted to do.

-
I contend that your question regarding the validity of
working on/about Bangla films should be rethought from the above
problematization.

-
The inequality is also applicable within a state also.
For example, in Bangladesh
the ethnic nations (not tribes, or ethnic minorities) are subjected to the same
statist and nationalistic processes of reconfigurations. They are bound to
speak Bangla, but we are not bound to speak Chakma, Shaotali, Rakhain and many
other languages.

-
From a predominantly liberal terrain, we may optimistically
believe in and call for the erasure of differences. But the complexly
articulated state (and multicorporate) apparatus (from education sector to Job
Market, from agricultural products to coca-cola) constructs newer differences
and boundaries.

Under these circumstances, I am not very much interested in
some sort of liberal proclamation of erasing differences among languages,
cultures and states. I am more hopeful about the critique of the formation
differences.

Interestingly, the affairs with Tasleema Nasreen can also be
viewed in the framework of the inequality. I
think Naeem’s points on Taslema were not taken into proper theoretical
and political account by the members who responded with a predominant liberal world view of everything. I will try to address the issues in another mail.

And what is one to do with the reality that South Asian language boundaries,somewhat like South Asian regional boundaries, are constantly shifting and responding to political imperatives, as well? (The Hindi/Urdu wallahs certainly know this one well!)

-
I hope to touch upon this part of question in future. To comment briefly, the boundaries are being reconfigured and redefined (as I have argued above) off course. Unfortunately and apologetically I am not in a position to profess on what one should do about it!

I hope this response will stir more arguments,

Wishes

Swadhin

Swadhin Sen
Archaeologist