[Reader-list] Indo-centrism On Sarai

Madhumita Lahiri ml49 at duke.edu
Thu Sep 13 01:26:40 IST 2007

Dear Swadhin,

I am not making a liberal proclamation. Perhaps the tone on this listserv
could be a bit more amicable and less antagonistic; it would certainly make
me more comfortable engaging in it!

Thank you for answering my question -- as to whether starting with a
linguistic unit of reference ('Bangla') works in harmful ways to erase
important differences (of history, state formations, etc) -- and your answer
seems to be an unambiguous yes (that such a move is harmful). Please notice,
however, when i speak of 'erasing differences' i do not assume that to be a
good thing or a bad thing -- and it does hurt my feelings to have liberalism
and the 'erasure of differences' attributed to me! That's not my project, my
sentiments, or contained in anything I wrote.

We all choose starting points for our work -- some are more productive and
some are more problematic. The tendency to focus always on the state is
something which i think has its own limitations; when i posted to the list
about Bangla, i was asking, what are the effects of taking a linguistic unit
as a starting point of inquiry, instead of always starting with a
state-based delineation? Which is not (and never -- hence my thoughts on the
complexity of South Asian language categories) to say that language can be
separated from geopolitical realities -- but that one has to choose
somewhere to start. Keeping Indocentricism and geopolitics in mind, how does
a cultural project work against them, where does one begin?

The Bangla material has allowed me to think about nation-formations (always
an imaginary identification and conception, as you point out) that are not
exactly coextensive with the state -- both in terms of Bengali identity
within India, which engages with governmentality at a non-national level,
and in terms of any/all cultural imaginings of something like a single
'Bongodesh' (I realize it looks funny in Roman script), which tend to work
around or beyond nation-state boundaries. My hope is not to fall on one side
or another on the question of WestBengal/Bangladesh distinctions, but to
chew on those differences for what they reveal -- about cultural
imaginaries, nations, states, and those of us who work on them. As to
whether such non-partiality is possible, i guess i'll find out when i
finish....

As for the availability of materials, which is always conditioned by
circumstances well beyond one's control, that is a problem i am getting to
know quite well! Suggestions are always welcome as to how to deal with the
question.

Yours,
Madhumita