[Reader-list] Naeem Mohaiemen did not deserve an answer

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Sep 13 01:08:11 IST 2007

Dear Gargi,

[The toilet cleaner consults his implements]

I think the device you are referring to, Gargi, (if I understand you
correctly) is called 'Purva Paksha' in Sanskrit Rhetoric.

'Purva Paksha' (litrally the 'prior argument')basically implies an
introductory exposition of the argument opposed to your own, for the
sole purpose of demolishing it with the aid of critical reasoning, and
in order to stage the supremacy of your own argument. You present the
opposing argument, in order to demonstrate your reasons for forsaking it.

You have to be a very skilled dialectician to undertake the difficult
exercise of 'Purva Paksha' because the argument you oppose has to be
presented with consummate skill, only then can your own dismantling of
that argument that you have yourself presented be considered a matter
worthy of respect.

Hope this helps,

The toilet cleaner.