[Reader-list] Heritage Signage Disappearing

Vishal Rawlley vishal.rawlley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 05:13:17 IST 2007

Friends,

In 2002 the Typocity project (www.typocity.com) was initiated to document
typefaces and signage styles in public spaces of Bombay. Since then, many of
the old signs that we documented are slowly vanishing. However, I was most
distressed to find that some of this heritage is being destroyed by the
municipal corporation itself in the name of protecting and
restoring heritage structures. Nothing can be more absurd.

Please follow this link to see the pictures of replaced signs and find out
more: http://bombay-arts.com/signs_gone/  Do excuse the quality of some of
the recent pictures as they were taken on the spur with a phone-camera. If
anyone has better pictures of the recently replaced Eastern Watch sign
please share it with me.

I am desperately looking for suggestions and ideas to counter this lack of
sensitivity by the municipal corporation. I shall be very grateful for any
help.

Best,
Vishal