[Reader-list] Heritage Signage Disappearing

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Sep 15 09:56:09 IST 2007

Dear Vishal,

Many thanks for your posting on disappearing signage. As an avowed fan
of typographic curiosities I have long been an admirer of your efforts
to document the typographic diversity of Bombay.

I share your concern about the disappearance of signage, because of the
ham handed ways in which 'heritage' is interpreted by municipal
authorities. Perhaps one thing that could be done is a small travelling
exhibition based on your work in colleges, and other arts institutions
in Bombay. And with your documentation, it should not be impossible to
convince some of the Bombay papers, say DNA or Mid Day, or even Time Out
Mumbai to publish some articles on the subject. Then maybe, the
'heritage' lobby itself may be persuaded to step in and realize that the
typographic history of Bombay is as much a part of 'heritage' as
anything else. I am sure that there are some people from DNA and Mid Day
on this list.

Perhaps they could come out and take this forward. I thought I would
post in reply to your post because typography is somthing that I feel
really strongly about,

I hope that other people come up with other suggestions,

best

Shuddha