[Reader-list] Self determination in Kashmir-reply to Vishal

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 22:36:44 IST 2007

Hi All,
I do not see the email shveta replied to in the
list,strangely.So I am reposting this.This is my
response to Vishal and it has my argument as to why
the nation may resort to censorship in some cases-to
be specific,why it would censor something that
promotes self determination in Kashmir.
Here goes again.If it was already posted to the
list,my apologies.

Hi Vishal,
That was a great post.I mean the original one.I find
my faculties of expression inadequate to connect to
passionate people in general and ladies in
particular;so I had taken a break.In the spirit of
"hawa aane de..yaar",I am tempted to post again.
Now,many people think that A united and independent
Kashmir for all Kashmiris is the only just solution to
this 60 year old dispute.
This is a very  appreciable sentiment, but I dont
think that is gonna happen.It may be just too, but who
are the stakeholders in such type of a
solution.?Honesty of individuals is not required here.
What I or you think should happen, would not affect
reality one bit.
Nations dont work on such canonical moral
principles.For getting anywhere near to the solution
of Kashmir, it is very necessary to get to grip with
realities.Neither India nor Pakistan will benefit from
an independent Kashmir. Neither will Kashmir itself.As
for UN,the resolutions are not mandatory and UN
reiterates a policy of non interference and
bilateralism.Neither can any side (India \pak)bomb the
other party to come to a solution. Nor can any country
bleed the other to a point of submission by terrorism
etc.
Lets examine India`s stakes in Kashmir.For India
a) it will have a bad effect on insurgencies in the
North East,
b)Ladakh is a strategic location wrt China, and India
would not be comfortable with that going in a
different country.
c) Distrust of Pakistan( or its dictators) to not to
try to usurp any further territory.
d) Majority of Indians do not regard Kashmir as a
disputed territory and if any party is perceived to go
soft on Kashmir, it would have a very difficult time
to get elected again.
So , from India`s view point,plesbicite just aint
gonna happen at the cost of whatever armtwisting it
may have to do or it may have to tolerate.
I dont know much about Pakistani politics but there is
the one water treaty,for them to have reservations in
wanting an independent Kashmir. I dont know what
interest or logic Pakistan has in supporting those
Islamist terrorist organisations,though, or whether
there is an internal political spin to it.
Coming to Kashmir itself, it is a landlocked region
with scant resources. If it does become a sovereign
state,it will also have problems with its non uniform
demographics. There would always be some sort of
strife in it.A referendum of 60-40 in the favour of an
option would only guarantee the continuation of some
kind of trouble in the region.
So, referendum, as far as I can see,is almost
impossible pragmatically.India, unilaterally, would
not allow it to happen,without consideration for
Pakistan or Kashmiri`s interests.
Not to say that all the people dont have a stake in
the solution of the problem.Most of all the Kashmiris.
Then Pakistan and India(gas pipeline and defense
expenditure). A solution is a win win option for
everybody.Concerned parties should be realistic and
pragmatic,instead of just keeping on with their
idealism;because its a matter of life and death for
many people.
And,above all , all concerned parties should drop this
holier-than-thou charade of self determination, and
come to a sensible solution which is acceptable to
everyone,and everyone will have to budge from their
stated positions.
By the way,I am not batting for anyone.As much as I
know myself,which is not much anyway,If I had been a
Pakistani\Kashmiri\Icelandic\Hindu\Muslim\Rastafarian\Lennonist(Imagine
theres no country)\Leninist\charsi etc.. my opinion
would have been the same.
regards
Rahul