[Reader-list] [Announcements] Workshop for Writers - Delhi - 30th September

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Sep 17 01:58:16 IST 2007

For those of you in Delhi who are of the writerly persuasion.

  *Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:00 pm*

The Attic
The Attic, 36, Regal Building, 1st Floor, Next to Kwality Restaurant,
Parliament Street, Connaught Place, New Delhi 110 001

  *Caferati's first annual *

*Celebrating Shakti Bhatt Workshop *
  ------------------------------

September 27th would have been Shakti Bhatt
<http://forshakti.blogspot.com/>'s
next birthday.

Shakti was a friend to many of us, and generous in her support of Caferati.
In her memory, we are starting something which we think she'd have approved
of: a series of workshops for writers.

We have two main sessions planned, and, true to Shakti's irreverent spirit,
we also have some light-hearted short interludes in the works as well, all
of it interactive and open to—nay, *demanding*—participation, so come
prepared to learn, to experiment and to grow. And to have a grand time.

*Creative Editing for Creative Writers*

This session will be led by Urvashi Butalia and Anita Roy of Zubaan Books.

The focus is on fiction writing (rather than poetry or academic), and the
worskhop will look at the whole editorial process: preparing your manuscript
for submission; things to avoid like the plague; what to expect from your
editor (and what not); the difference between the various editorial
functions (commissioning, line-editing, structural edit, proofing etc);
editing your own work and developing a critical mind and editorial eye.

*Indian Poetic Forms*

H S Shivaprakash of the Jawaharlal Nehru University will lead the first part
of this session.

On Caferati, experimentation with poetic form is an old tradition. We have
attempted to go beyond the traditional forms that poets in English
attempt—sonnets, villanelles, terza rima, pantoums and so on—to follow the
example of poets who have attempted forms that have their roots in other
languages like the haiku. We have tried, with varying degrees of success,
the ghazal, the andhadi, the doha, the kural and so on. We thought it would
be interesting to tap into Indian and Asian poetic forms that we are not
familiar with, and cannot easily access on the net, and see how this can
enrich our writing in English.

Prof Shivaprakash will take us through some of his work, and tell us about
some Kannada poetic forms, and then throw the room open to questions and
interaction. After a short break, Annie Zaidi will moderate a discussion on
other Indian poetic forms. You are welcome to bring along any poems that you
have written based on an Indian poetic form.

*About the workshop leaders*

*Urvashi Butalia* is co-founder of Kali for Women, India's first feminist
publishing house and now Director of Zubaan <http://www.zubaanbooks.com/>,
an imprint of Kali. She has been active in the women's movement in India for
several years. She writes regularly for newspapers and magazines, and among
her published books are the award-winning *The Other Side of Silence: Voices
from the Partition of India*, *Speaking Peace: Women's Voices from
Kashmir*(edited),
*Women and the Hindu Right: A Collection of Essays * (edited) and several
collections of short stories. She has also been on the juries of the
Crossword Book Awards and on the Lettre Ulysses award.

*Anita Roy* has been an editor for exactly half her life: the first ten in
England (with Routledge and then Manchester University Press), and the last
eleven in Delhi (with OUP, Dorling Kindersley and currently
Zubaan<http://www.zubaanbooks.com/>).
As an editor, she's worked on a range of books - from academic monographs,
travel guides, general non-fiction, and fiction, to children's books.

*H S Shivaprakash* is currently Associate Professor, School of Arts and
Aesthetics in Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. He published
collections of poems, *Malebidda Nadalli* (1991) and *Anukshna
Charite*(1991) and plays,
*Sultan Tippu* (1986), *Mahachaitra* (1990), *Maranayakana
Drishtanta*(1991), and
*Manteswamy Katha Pasanga *. As a playwright,  Shivaprakash has  received
Satyakama Prashasti (2003).
------------------------------

This workshop series is not for profit. The Attic is very kindly giving us
the use of the premises for free.We will, however, be serving snacks and
beverages, and we would like to make small gifts to our workshop leaders. So
we are charging a small fee: a minium of Rs 100 per person, and for students
with valid ID cards, a minimum of Rs 50. Participants are welcome to give
more. Any surplus will be donated to a worthy cause.

Please note that a lot of planning goes into events like these, and such
expenses as there are will be coming out of our pockets. So we urge you to
book your place early, so that we have a fix on the numbers and can makes
sure that everyone is comfortable and well-fed.

We are asking people to pay up and confirm in advance, so that we are sure
of numbers and can make sure that both events run smoothly. The people to
inform: Annie Zaidi, Anita Vasudeva or Danish Husain in Delhi or Manisha
Lakhe or Peter Griffin in Bombay — *zaidiannie*, *anita.vasudeva*, *
dan.husain*, *manishalakhe*, *zigzackly* (all *@ gmail.com*) respectively.
Please confirm as early as possible so that we can book your space.

After the workshop, some of us plan to go out to drink a toast to Shakti,
and to enjoy the company of friends over a cheery dinner. All participants
are welcome to join in, and pay for whatever you drink or eat.

*Directions*

Your landmark is Kwality Restaurant. The Attic is next door.

Organised and Hosted by

Caferati's Delhi Chapter <http://groups.google.com/group/Caferati-Delhi>

*(If you haven't done so already, please join Caferati's Delhi googlegroup
<http://groups.google.com/group/Caferati-Delhi>  to keep track of this and
future events. For news on Caferati in general, please subscribe to Caferati
Updates <http://groups.google.com/group/Caferati-Updates>.*

http://zigzackly.blogspot.com/
http://yourchequeisinthemail.blogspot.com/
http://clickiii.blogspot.com/