[Reader-list] Sethusamudram Ship Canal Project - Blueprint for an ecological disaster

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 23:38:08 IST 2007

Pawan,

If you care about ecology, don't you think that should be because it has
a value in itself, regardless of whether or not it has value as sacred
ground/water? If the channel had no mythology attached, would it be ok
to alter its ecosystem? The meaning of "more so" is not clear to me. The
way I see it, it is either worth preserving or it is not. Can't be both.

As for the BJP and VHP, which have shown complete insensitivity to
ecological issues, would you like to see them hijack a major ecological
issue for their own political ends? As someone who is concerned about
ecology, are you not concerned that this would hurt the eco movement?

Tapas