[Reader-list] Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on nuclear power

prakash ray pkray11 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 11:28:45 IST 2007

http://www.ptinews.com/pti/ptisite.nsf/$All/C7A7E79DFD09103765257359003E5CFF?OpenDocument
        We can't avoid nuclear power : Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee  Kolkata,
Sept 17 (PTI) As his party continued to oppose the Indo-US civil nuclear
deal, West Bengal Chief Minister and CPI-M leader Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee
today said the country cannot avoid nuclear power and wanted scientists to
debate this and come to a conclusion.
"We just cannot avoid nuclear power. We should move ahead taking into
account the price of nuclear plant and cost of power," Bhattacharjee told an
interactive session with the captains of industry organised by CII.
Bhattacharya was however silent on the nuke deal.

On Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's recent statement that India could not
miss the bus of nuclear renaissance, Bhattacharjee said, "We have some
doubts about the price of nuclear plants, the cost of power etc. Scientists,
planners and economists should discuss this.

"Let the scientists debate, we will take a decision after that."
Bhattacharjee had yesterday stated that the state government had not taken a
decision on nuclear power yet because of divided opinion on it.

The state, he said, required more power in coming years because "our growth
rate is increasing and FDI is coming." He said that 96 per cent of power in
the state was generated by thermal power and "We have to switch over from
thermal to solar, wind and other sources of power. In view of the problem of
global warming, we need clean power." PTI