[Reader-list] Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on nuclear power

Partha Dasgupta parthaekka at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:47:17 IST 2007

Hi,

I certainly agree that India is already short of requisite power, and our
fairly heavy dependence on thermal power stations (which use coal) is not
only environment-unfriendly (both in mining as well as burning).

On the hydro-generation front also we have issues because the global warming
is melting the glaciers that are the font of our rivers.

Realistically speaking, solar and wind power can't really provide the amount
of power to be generated and can only be supplemental.

Don't see much choice other than nuclear power - which leaves the issue of
containing the radioactive material.

"Between the devil and the deep blue sea"

Rgds, Partha