[Reader-list] Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on nuclear power

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 18 16:52:53 IST 2007

No problem, according to Steward Brand in the Economist:
http://tinyurl.com/3289cs
(interesting article as a whole btw)
You simply make sure the stuff is buried safe for the next hundred year,
and our successors will extract the left+over energy from it. So Buddha is
in good company (?)

cheers from Zagreb, p+2D!

> Hi,
>
> I certainly agree that India is already short of requisite power, and our
> fairly heavy dependence on thermal power stations (which use coal) is not
> only environment-unfriendly (both in mining as well as burning).
>
> On the hydro-generation front also we have issues because the global
> warming
> is melting the glaciers that are the font of our rivers.
>
> Realistically speaking, solar and wind power can't really provide the
> amount
> of power to be generated and can only be supplemental.
>
> Don't see much choice other than nuclear power - which leaves the issue of
> containing the radioactive material.
>
> "Between the devil and the deep blue sea"
>
> Rgds, Partha
>
> On 9/18/07, prakash ray <pkray11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.ptinews.com/pti/ptisite.nsf/$All/C7A7E79DFD09103765257359003E5CFF?OpenDocument
>>         We can't avoid nuclear power : Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee  Kolkata,

(...)