[Reader-list] Sethusamudram Ship Canal Project - Blueprint for an ecological disaster

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:51:20 IST 2007

Dear Pawan,

The BJP, VHP. etc., should be shunned because while they fill the void,
they fill it with hate and violence, whereas the issue at hand is life -
survival of an ecosystem and of fisherfolk. If Sethusamudram is
projected as a Hindu issue, why should Muslim or Christian fisherfolk
and others worry about it? If it is an ecological issue and one of
livelihood for fisherfolk regardless of religion, everybody will be
concerned.

I do not know whether the prominent activists you refer to have taken it
up or not, but if they in deed have not, I would imagine they might be
wary of being viewed as associating themselves with a group that
promotes hate and thrives on violence, and has been openly hostile in
the past (on Narmada, etc.). In other words, I think the cause of
Sethusamudram would have been well served if the BJP and VHP had left it
alone and not turned it into a religious issue.

I cannot, and do not want to, speak for the communists. But my personal
- and possibly limited - understanding is that they have no concern for
environmental issues whatsoever, just like the Hindutva bloc. In any
stand they take, on any issue, the sole concern is power - namely,
whether it is congruent with the aim of gaining political power or not.
(In my very limited knowledge, this is the legacy of Lenin and Stalin.)
Once one understands this, it is easy to understand every action of theirs.

But the question remains - do you think Sethusamudram would deserve your
attention even if there was no mythology attached to it?

Tapas