[Reader-list] The Hindu on Tibet

M Yousuf yousufism at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 23:06:55 IST 2008

In the political morality paradigm the signatories should be bound by what
happens in their own nations. The point is not to raise voices about every
such issue that may exist anywhere else in the world. What is not heartening
is that the signatories have remained silent on the Tibet like isssue of
Kashmir where the nation state they are citizens of is perpetrating the same
crimes. From that point of view, the signatories are criminals in silence
and in that sense colaborators with the state of India in as much as the
crimes against humanity that continue to be perpetrated in Kashmir and
Northeast.

The issue is, where does one derive the moral authority to come down on
China (in which case all the protest and solidarity is perfectly justified),
and in this conversation, on The Hindu. It is utter hypocricy when similar
atmosphere prevailing in the country of one's residence is so conveniently
(and may I say criminally) overlooked.

I see no difference between the Chinese Han officials who justify their
brutality in Tibet and those nationalist Indians (Like the signatories
who ceratinly appear to me as such) who choose not to see India's brutality
and sophisticated occupation of Kashmir and Northeast.

The point I am trying to drive home is that one cannot be a wife beater and
SHO of a women's Thana at the same time.

For heaven's/Hell's sake, all of us who rise in solidarity with victims of
political injustices, can we first be civil society actors in our
own operating spaces instead of 'Advisors to Nationalism'.

In solidarity against all occupations in the world.

M Yousuf