[Reader-list] reader-list Digest, Vol 57, Issue 55 (on bicycle dreams)

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 00:07:51 IST 2008

Atreyee,

Not obtuse at all, and even if you were, so what? What is obtuse for one
could well be acute for another ;)

Jokes apart, if I understand you correctly, you are in good company (or
bad, if you ask some mainstream "Marxists"): Baudrillard has remarked
somewhere ... I am trying to remember where, and hoping I am not making
this up ... that in this phase of modernity, it is really signs that one
consumes, not commodities. He was talking about the West, of course. The
thing about us postcolonials (who are like that only) is that we have
appropriated THEIR signs. Now that's not embarrassing in itself, because
they are known to appropriate OUR signs, too - look at the "Eastern
spiritualism" of hippies and their various mutants, and paraphernalia to
be found in the possession of even some fairly mainstream people in the
West today. But it all leads to a terribly confused state of affairs.
Which can be fun.

Anyway, the thing is that the part-pre-modern postcolonial world is
trying to turn part-post/late-Western-modern. Trying very hard. Even
getting cheerleaders for cricket matches. Now cheerleading itself is a
sign today - while watching some November 2006 US TV broadcasts in the
last few days, I have seen commercials from companies that coach school
students in cheerleading and for playing in school bands. So you
purchase cheer ... or the sign of it. Just as in Japan, the elderly can
purchase the services of folks who visit them and act like children,
grandchildren, etc. Quite a witch's brew, right? No wonder our BPO kids
are so mixed up, and not just about night and day.

(Talking about BPOs, the last item in one of the old broadcasts I was
watching was about a film about an American falling in love with a
beautiful Indian BPO worker. After they showed clips from the film, when
the anchors were engaged in chitchat, the sports anchor joked about
Indian BPO workers not "understanding us". So there's confusion not only
about day/night but also accents.)

So, we need those cars and highways and computers and fibre-optic
internet backbones and things, so that signs can circulate faster and
faster, in a blur. But then "over there", the signs are changing -
somewhat like traffic lights. They are changing to "Sustainable". That's
the mantra today. So you have oil companies spending millions of dollars
on "green" ad campaigns - what Greenpeace calls "greenwash". And then
you have cities like Berlin pushing high-tech public bicycle programmes.
Through all this, what remains constant, not negotiable, is the
commitment to "development" and "growth" in a totally early-modern
sense, and all that this implies for human life, both spiritual and
physical, for non-human life, and for the earth as a whole.

Just a few random thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

Tapas