[Reader-list] Indian paramilitary forces fire to Kill Kashmiris - Greater Kashmir

Kashmir Affairs kashaffairs at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 18:10:27 IST 2008

Bullets Hit Protestors’ Chest, Head, Abdomen, Heart

NASEER A GANAI

Srinagar,
Aug 13: Doctors in different hospitals say causalities due to bullet
injuries were higher as bullets have been fired at upper parts of the
body including chest, heart and head. They say the troops and police
resorted to target killing of protestors.
 “Yesterday, we operated
upon a number of persons having received bullet injuries. We also
operated upon 15 seriously wounded, among them several died. I tell you
most people have been shot at from very close range and above the waist
causing maximum causalities,” said a consultant at SMHS Hospital.
 “I
can understand what would have happened outside. Inside the hospital,
in the causality ward police fired teargas shells,” said Dr Idrees. Six
persons who were brought dead to the hospital including Imtiyaz Ahmad
Bhat of Lasjan, Imran Qayoom Wani of Baghi Mehtab, Qamran Mehboob,
Faisal Showkat and others had been shot at upper parts including neck
and chest.
 Reports said 29 people have been killed in past two
days. Doctors describe the shooting above waist as “target killing.”
Bullet injuries in chest, neck and head could not be described as
firing in self-defence, said a doctor working in Soura Medical
Institute. He said most of the people who were in critical condition
have been hit at neck, chest and head. He said a person brought from
Bemina this morning had been hit in head.
 A senior official of
the Medical Institute Soura said 50 persons who have received bullets
have undergone major surgeries in past two days. The official said most
of the patients who have been operated upon were in critical condition.
“This is grim situation. I should tell you frankly that half of the
people who have gone through major surgeries are in extremely critical
condition. Some are on ventilators. We should pray for their survival,”
said a doctor working in the Institute.
 Doctors in valley
hospitals have cancelled their leaves and are in hospitals for past
four days continuously looking after the injured. Eight persons have
died in past two days in the Medical Institute. “Among the eight, some
were brought dead and some died after operation,” officials said.
 Doctors
said had troops and police fired below the waist the causalities would
have been far less. “In that case it causes less damage than target
killing,” doctors say.
 Rouf Majeed, presently admitted in the
SMHS hospital, has been shot in his shoulder. Doctors looking after him
said that he has been shot with pistol. “I was in a protest when army’s
JAKLI troops fired at us. I received a bullet and I was brought to
hospital by people,” he said. He said three other persons have received
serious injuries in their chest and head and they have been shifted to
SKIMS.
 Nazir Ahmad of Sumbal had received a bullet in the
abdomen. Apart from bullets, tear gas shells have been fired directly
at people. Rouf Majeed admitted in the SMHS has been hit at chest with
a tear gas shell. “Had it been hit at heart, it would have been fatal,”
doctors attending him said. Another person, Gowhar Bhat of Dalgate,
admitted in the SMHS, has been hit at private parts with tear gas
shell.