[Reader-list] The Reality of Economic Blocade in Kashmir

Kashmir Affairs kashaffairs at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 22:32:25 IST 2008

Trucker belies Govt claim on blockade

FAHEEM ASLAM

Srinagar,
Aug 14: Blasting the government claims that there was no blockade to
the Valley as trucks were moving freely along the highway from Srinagar
to Lakhanpur, a truck from Jalandhar reached Srinagar after spending 19
days on the highway due to the blockade.
 Here is the story: The
truck No. (PB08-0997) left Jalandhar on July 25 after it was loaded
with medical supplies to the SMHS hospital here.
 The truck driver,
Avtar Singh, said as the truck reached Lakhanpur, police stopped him
from proceeding toward Jammu citing “attack by mobs on the highway” as
the reason. “I spent three days and two nights at Lakhanpur. On the
fourth day, police asked me to proceed during the night,” Singh told
Greater Kashmir while unloading the supplies at the SMHS hospital on
Thursday.
 The truck was loaded with medical supplies including some vital drugs and surgical essentials.
 “After
leaving Lakhanpur, I was stopped again on the Samba-Udhampur highway on
the ground that mobs were throwing petrol bombs along the road,” the
visibly fatigued Singh said. “At this spot, we spent six days.”
 Singh
said he had to again spend four days at different places along the
Srinagar-Jammu highway after the authorities didn’t permit him to
proceed. “When we crossed the Banihal tunnel after 12 days, the police
and Army officials on duty barred us from proceeding toward Sriangar
and asked us to move back,” Avtar Singh said. “We moved 12 kms back
from the tunnel and spent four more days there. But we got a message to
move to Srinagar as the SMHS authorities had called some higher ups to
ensure free movement of our truck.”
 The ordeal for Singh, however,
didn’t end here. “We were promised adequate security up to Srinagar,
but the police party escorting us left us at Qazigund. We stopped there
for a night,” Avtar said. “In the morning on Wednesday, I saw the Army
convoy heading for Srinagar. I managed to put my vehicle in between the
convoy and reached Srinagar. But I will never forget the ordeal.”
 Avtar
asserted that five to six trucks carrying medical supplies are still
stranded on the highway. “The trucks carry medical supplies for SKIMS
and Children Hospital,” he said. “But they are not able to proceed as
the authorities are not allowing their movement towards Srinagar.”

http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=15_8_2008&ItemID=28&cat=1