[Reader-list] Fwd: kashmir pictures

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 19:05:51 IST 2008

Dear Inder Salim

1. Sexual Choices (Morality) of an individual or between consenting Adults has nothing to do with Ethics. For and between individuals (as I wrote earlier to Aarti) the "Individual Ethics" as for example of Sexual Choices (Morality) defines the quality of relationships. The 'Societal Ethics' of Sexual Choices come into reckoning only when one person's Sexual Choices adversely impact another person's choices.

2. Go ahead and legalise homosexuality in India. You do not need my permission. I have no objection to it.

3. But wait a minute, I see you expressing contempt for India time and again. You condemn anyone talking in favour of Indian Nationalism but are quick to speak in favour of Kashmiri Nationalism. When questioned over this contradiction you play dumb, deaf and blind and ignore the query. What is your interest in India?

4. You should ask for the legalising of homosexuality in Kashmir. It will be interesting to see how your demand will be received in Kashmir.

5. As far as India is concerned, there is some ongoing litigation over this in Delhi High Court. A competent Legal Team might be able to successfully argue it out.

6. From what I have read, it will not be possible for a Court of Law to strike down the Act under which homosexuality is interpreted as an offence but they could adjucate that the interpretation of the Act should not harshly extend itself to treating homosexuality as being criminal behaviour.

The Act talks about the criminality of  "carnal intercourse against the order of nature with another person of the same sex". In my opinion, a skillful Lawyer could argue over the "Order of Nature" bit. It would be rrrrrather difficult to get Nature to give evidence about what it's "Order' is. There are also examples available in the "Living Nature" domain (excluding Humans) where same sex carnal intercourse takes place.  These are exceptions of sexual behaviour amongst various species but so are they amongst humans.

6. You have selectively quoted and also possibly selectively read what I wrote. I did not say that the 'multi party system' makes a mockery of 'Democracy' but that the "first past the post system" (used to declare candidates in an Election as successful) that we follow in our "multi party system" makes a mockery of Democracy in India. I hope you see the difference. Please read carefully before commenting.

7. Certainly those who love India (which excludes a hate monger like you) must celeberate "Democracy" in India. But the current system is far from being perfect and needs to be rectified. What is your problem in that?

8. The same system (by and large) is followed in the UK and I would not be surprised that with stronger showings (vote shares) for the Liberal Democrats and Greens,  in the UK they will start pondering over how to rectify the system.

9. Some countries already have more credible systems where they use "Proportional Representation" or "Multiple Rounds of Voting" or "Preferential Voting". But, the dynamics of each country are unique and India will have to find out what suits it best as a rectification of the current system.

Kshmendra