[Reader-list] China detains 35 Pak nationals for planning attack on Games

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 19:28:44 IST 2008

Dear Lalit

As long as Pakistan finds it crucial to have excellent relations with China, there is little likelihood of the Xinjiang (Sinkiang) separatist movement posing any heightened threat to China.

Of course there will be incidents like the killing of 16 Chinese Chinese Police personnel a few days before the start of the Beijing Olympics for which the Xinjiang separatists were blamed. But the usual thrust provided to Islamic Separatist Movements out of Pakistan will be minimal unless it suits Pakistan to act otherwise.

China has acted very ruthlessly a number of times against the Xinjiang separatists. This has included demolition of settlements (residential and business) and also Mosques.

What has been interesting is that such actions of China against the Muslims and Mosques has never brought forth angry condemnation from Pakistan. Not ever from the  Govt of Pakistan and rarely from the Muslims of Pakistan.

There have not been any significant or extensively advertised adverse reactions out of India either. Not from GOI, not from the Muslims of India, not from "that class" who are quick and ever willing to support the separatists in Indian Kashmir and who is so very well represented and articulate in SARAI. These bunches (from India) are for that matter most times also mute about how Pakistan treats it's Muslims and "seekers of freedom from Pakistan".

Xinjiang continues to be a Muslim Majority region of China. They are predominantly of Uyghur ethnicity. Slim majority though. At least now.

"Demographic changes and balances" has been much in the news in the past weeks (Amarnath- Hindus-Kashmir- India). Apparently the Han (Non-Muslim) Chinese were about 6% of the population of Xinjiang in 1949. Recent enumerations put them at over 40%. And, to quote "This figure does not include military personnel or their families, or the many unregistered migrant workers." How is that for "demographic change"?

Kshmendra