[Reader-list] Jammu Agitation against Islamic Fundamentalists - Secular Campaign for last 55 days...

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 08:52:39 IST 2008

*With painted faces & flags, kids march to court arrest*
*Jammu, August 21, 2008*

Link -
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Mobile/Pages/StoryPage.aspx?ID=327de271-ff2f-4dd3-9783-b3c5be504eb6&BC=Home

Her cheeks painted in tricolour and a marigold garland around her neck,
10-year-old Hemalata was out on the streets of Jammu on Wednesday — to .

She could be mistaken for a cheering cricket fan or an enthusiastic
schoolgirl about to take part in a fancy fete. But Hemalata thought she
should join the processions "for the sake of the country — to press for a
piece of land for Amarnath's Bhole Baba". She was headed for a police
station in Rehari.

On Tuesday, the government announced an indefinite curfew in Jammu and
warned against bringing children to court arrest, as it was against the law.
But this morning, they came out, chanting "Yeh diwane kahan chale, jail
chale bhai jail chale" (Where are these frenzied people going? They are
going to jails).

Unable to cope with the rush of women, men and, now children, courting
arrest, policemen looked quite harassed on the third day of the Jammu
agitators' "Jail Bharo" programme. "We cannot detain kids, I tell them,"
said Arun Kotwal, a sub-inspector at Rehari, as protesters wanted to know
why he hadn't put up makeshift tents or called for water tankers.

For nearly 50 days, residents have voluntarily shut down everything. But,
how long can it go on? Sheetal Arjunwal, a councilor supervising a community
kitchen, said: "The land transfer is only one of the issues. People are out
to disprove what New Delhi believes — that it can wear us out."

B.S. Salathia, president of Jammu Bar Association, said: "The authorities
want to use force against us for waving the national flag, but think of the
compensation for those waving the Pakistani flag in the Valley."

A Congress activist, Salathia did not think the BJP was behind the upsurge.
"The BJP gave the first call for bandh because it does not have to bother
about the Valley. But, after that, it is the Sangharsh Samiti — that
includes us all."

Agreeing with him, Ashok Khajuria, state BJP chief, said: "We are not
looking for credit now. We are part of the people's movement. When the
elections come, the people can decide."

Khwaja Mohammed Rashid, a lawyer from Poonch, said: "There is no
Hindu-Muslim divide here. The Valley leaders come to us for votes in the
name of Islam. But once the polls are over, they don't bother about Muslims
outside the valley. No jobs are created. No college seats are available. All
money goes to the valley."