[Reader-list] If only Arundhati would quit India... - by Kanchan Gupta

Baruk S. Jacob b_a_r_u_k at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 02:53:31 IST 2008

Dear all,

If I understand this article correctly, there are three main points.

1) One should be radical when young. Once one reaches middle age (defined by a spreading midriff and a love of whisky?) one should leave the 'being radical' to younger people. Since Arundhati Roy is past her youth, she should therefore shut up, as it is not, as we say in the south, "looking good."

2) What Arundhati Roy said is treason and seditious. Treason and sedition are illegal. Therefore, one should not say things that are illegal, and if one does so, one should be punished. One should not criticise India and/or challenge the fact that India is truly democratic-definitely not to an international audience. If one wants to live in this country, one should not speak against it.

3) Mr. Rajmohan Gandhi is sly, and his article should be contested. Mr. L.K Advani has understood the situation correctly, as should the rest of us, that the issue is with separatists, and something should be done about them.

My reaction to Arundhati Roy's piece aside, does anyone else feel the first two arguments are a little silly?

~baruk