[Reader-list] Husain Exhibition Attacked in Delhi

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Aug 25 23:25:42 IST 2008

Religious peoplel should be careful about the aesthetic sensitivities
of artists and of those committed to the arts. Religion too can
flourish without delving into such sensitive and touchy issues (such
as the right to freedom of expression) which may have emotional
importance for some people.

The substance of religion is for the consumption of people but it
should not consume the consumer itself.The religious zealot should
know this very well.He should not try to play with their aesthetic
and artistic commitments just for his/her cheap fun.A religious
zealot who is not sensitive to the imagination and creativity  of the
people at large is not an a person with any sense of the sacred at
all. Religion is (apparently, or so say many people who are sincerely
religious) not an end in itself.It is for the people and for the good
of  society.

Shuddha