[Reader-list] 'Islamic Terrorists' take women, children hostage in Jammu

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 18:40:27 IST 2008

*Terrorists take women, children hostage in Jammu*
NDTV Correspondent
Wednesday, August 27, 2008, (Jammu)

As the encounter between security forces and terrorists in Jammu
intensifies, militants took hostage four children and three women.

Security forces are evacuating people from the neighbouring houses.

However, the operation to flush out the terrorists has slowed down because
the area is thickly populated.

The people living there have been hearing gunshots since morning. Describing
the scenario a woman living in the vicinity said, "We heard a gunshot. We
have not seen a militant. We have just heard that they have infiltrated
here. First we heard a sound. We got up at five in the morning. The Army is
outside our gate. Our house is as it is open. We don't even have a gate. We
were scared since morning as to how should we get out. The Army people told
us to leave the place for some investigation. So we came outside."

On being asked who all are inside the house, the woman said, "A couple and
their kids are there. I don't know if they have managed to get out. A man
came out. He said something to the other man, I don't know what he said."

Meanwhile, the security forces have managed to kill one of the three
terrorists who are hiding in a residential building in the Bantalab area in
heart of Jammu city.

The Army's operation is being hampered by the presence of some children and
women in the house.

Early on Wednesday morning, three terrorists dressed as policemen entered
the Mishriwala area and fired indiscriminately, killing four people and
injuring two security personnel.

The four killed include three civilians and an Army personnel. The
terrorists then escaped to the Bantalab area of Jammu and took shelter in a
house there where the encounter is now on.

The terrorists are believed to be the same men who infiltrated the
international border on Tuesday.

So the worst fears of the security forces seem to be coming true as
terrorists are clearly taking advantage of the months of unrest in Jammu and
Kashmir over the Amarnath issue.

As per the Home Ministry sources, there have been three major infiltrations
from Pakistan since the Amarnath crisis began.

Government sources also said that Hizbul was looking for reinforcement from
Pakistan as its top cadre are killed.

In 2007, there had been 72 incidents of infiltration while in 2008, there
have been 48 incidents of infiltration along the international border till
now.