[Reader-list] Attacks on Doctors, Ambulances and Hospitals in Kashmir

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Aug 27 18:50:07 IST 2008

Dear all,

Even the Geneva Convention, which prescribes rules of conduct during
war and armed conflict, enjoins armed personnel not to attack
doctors, nurses, paramedics, hospitals and ambulances.

India is a party to the Geneva Convention, (not though to the
additional protocols which govern conflict situations involving non-
state actors). The situation in  the Kashmir valley cannot be called
a 'conflict' situation at the moment, because the guns are only in
the hands of the forces of the Indian state. And even if it were a
bona fide 'conflict situation' then too, the conduct of the Indian
state's armed forces in the Kashmir valley - with regard to attacks
on doctors, nurses, paramedics, hospitals and ambulances, cannot but
be condemned in the harshest of terms.

Not only are the armed forces of the Indian state firing upon unarmed
crowds (and 8 deaths have so far occurred in the last two days alone
from this firing in an attempt to brutally enforce an indefinite
curfew, apart from the around 30 deaths that occurred earlier during
the marches on the road to Muzaffarabad). They are also attacking
those who are tending to the sick and the wounded.

We have so far had targetted attacks on journalists, and now on
doctors and health workers. How low can the Indian state stoop to
keep its rule by force operational in Kashmir?

Please see below, two reports from the Greater Kashmir, and the
Indian Express, about the attacks on health workers, doctors, nurses,
ambulances and medical facilities.

regards

Shuddha

---------------------------------------

1.

ICRC comes to rescue of B & J Hospital
http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?
Date=27_8_2008&ItemID=11&cat=1
Greater Kashmir, August 27, 2008
Patients, attendants face tough time as curfew, blockade continues
FAHEEM ASLAM/ARSHAD BHAT/ARIF SHAFI WANI

Srinagar, Aug 26:  An international non-governmental organization on
Tuesday came to the rescue of the Valley's lone trauma centre—Bone
and Joint Hospital at Barzulla—after it completely ran out of the
essential medical supplies due to blockade and curfew.

Sources said the International Committee for Red Cross (ICRC)
provided the necessary medical supplies like cotton, bandage and IV
drip sets to the hospital this afternoon after its authorities sought
the organisation's support. "We had no medical supplies and
equipments in store, not even cotton and bandage," they said. "Then
the ICRC provided some 2000 pounds of cotton besides other essentials
to the hospital."

Many senior doctors, who spoke to Greater Kashmir, said the ICRC
airlifted consignment for the hospital from Jammu and Delhi. "We are
thankful to them for coming to our rescue during the present crisis,"
the doctors, wishing anonymity, said.

The doctors warned that the stocks will completely last in two weeks.
"After that, the hospital shall be virtually defunct," they said.They
believe the blockade to the Valley was a major cause of the shortage
of medical supplies in the hospital, which normally should have been
well equipped given the present crisis. "Blockade is the root cause
of all the problems," the doctors said. "And then, we are not even
able to make local purchases due to curfew, which has made our
movement impossible."

Inside sources said that the shortage of medical essentials was not
the only problem faced by them. "The worse problem we are confronting
at present is the shortage of manpower. Right now, only 30 percent of
our staff is present in the hospital. All other paramedics and
doctors have not been provided with the necessary curfew passes,"
said a group of paramedics. "It is very difficult for us to manage
our working during the present crisis. The government must come to
our rescue and ensure the entire staff reaches the hospital
immediately."

Officials in the hospital administration said the government had
promised them that the medical supplies would be bought from the Army
hospital. "But we haven't received anything so far," the officials said.

Patients, attendants face tough time
Patients in other city hospitals are facing tremendous hardship due
to the shortage of medicines and non-availability of doctors in past
three days of curfew.
Left in lurch, their attendants move from pillar to post within the
confines of the hospital seeking medicines but the administrators are
unable to provide them with the required drugs.

At SMHS hospital, the condition of patients with bullet hits is
excruciating as medicines as well as doctors hardly reach them.On
seeking his response to the crisis, SMHS medical superintendent Wasim
Qureshi pooh poohes scribes for venturing into the hospital. "Media
is barred from entering into the premises," he told the Greater
Kashmir correspondent who visited the hospital on Tuesday.

He even barred persons carrying juice for the victims. "No we don't
need juice. First you should have asked me," he told the persons who
had brought juice packs from far flung area during curfew restrictions.

Even doctors in the hospital admitted that there was shortage of
drugs in the hospital. However, hospital administration refuses to
acknowledge that there is any shortage of medicine.

Situation at Lal Ded hospital, Valley's lone maternity hospital, is
worse with attendants being barred from venturing outside. Scores of
attendants were pleading CRPF troopers to let them buy the medicines
from outside, but troopers were not allowing them to move. "The
condition of my wife is serious as I am unable to get medicines for
her," said Farooq Ahmed Dar, of Pulwama, who has been stuck in the
hospital for past three days.

  Patients and attendants are facing tough time in GB Panth hospital,
Valley’s biggest paediatric hospital. “ We are facing lot of problems
in absence of doctors and medicine,”  a caller identifying himself as
Feroz Ahmed told Greater Kashmir over phone.

---------------------------------------

2.

Security men attack health workers in Valley
Muzamil Jaleel, Indian Express, August 26
Posted online: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 1600 hrs
http://www.indianexpress.com/story/353516.html

Srinagar, August 25:: Angry with protestors defying curfew, the ire
of the fury of the security forces men was again directed towards the
ambulance drivers and paramedic staff.

According to the J-K Health Services department, nine ambulance
drivers and three paramedics were injured after they were beaten up
by CRPF and armymen and the ambulance windscreens shattered while
trying to ferry injured people.

A senior official of the Health department said that their ambulance
drivers have threatened to refuse to go out because of the ‘scare'’.

Here are few details with the Health department: The driver of
ambulance (JK01B-9502) of District Hospital Handwara Ghulam Hassan
was beaten up by the army, fracturing his limb while he was carrying
a body at Younisa village in Handwara today.

Shabir Ahmad – a driver of an ambulance (JK01F8528) of Maternity and
Childcare hospital, Anantnag was going to bring a doctor to the
hospital when he was stopped and beaten up by security forces at
Ashishpora in Anantnag.

Driver Mohammad Youqub Magloo (Ambulance JK01J-5242) was stopped at
Hyderpora, Srinagar and beaten up. He has been admitted at Bones and
Joints Hospital with multiple fractures.

Driver Firdous Ahmad (JK02C8837) of Kulgam Hospital was stopped at
village Bachru at Yaripora and beaten up by the security forces.
Firoz Ahmad – the driver of an ambulance of Gousia hospital in
Khanyar Srinagar was beaten up by the CRPF men and now he is bed
ridden unable to move.

The Health department's internal report reveals that Station House
Officer, Kreeri asked for ambulances and paramedics to treat and
ferry people, injured in security force firing at Choru village in
Baramulla district.

Two ambulance drivers Gurmeet Singh (JK02D8838) and Farooq Ahmad
(JK01G9401) and three paramedics Syed Ghulam Hassan, Ghulam Mohammad
Parray and Syed Mohammad Ashraf from Kreeri Hospital were immediately
dispatched but the security forces didn't allow them to proceed and
beat them up.

Then the drivers of ambulances, Fayaz Ahmad (JK01K 9982) of Ganderbal
Ghulam Mohamamd Khatana (JK01 3760) of Kangan and Mohamamd Iqbal
(JK01H 2702) were beaten up by the security forces.

"There has been a problem. We have discussed with the divisional
administration so that we can prevent such incidents'' said J-K's
Health Commissioner, Atal Dhiloo told The Indian Express.

"I was informed by the Director Health Services. Some of our people
have been injured. I have asked our officers to go and please see
them and provide whatever help and assistance we can give''.