[Reader-list] FW: FW: Attacks on Minorities in Kashmir Valley

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 18:38:18 IST 2008

Dear Vijay,

I was very happy to receive your email this morning commending JKCCS and
others on their public statement on minorities in Kashmir, particularly as
the Sarai Reader's List that I subscribe to had begun to reflect the shrill,
extreme positions of the Jammu and Kashmir communal divide.

I was startled, therefore, when I received an email from Murtaza Shibli
accusing you of being disingenuous and worse.  I pointed out to him that you
needed to have a chance of replying.  He agrees and I've pasted our
correspondence below FYI.

I am extremely concerned at the deteriorating relations between Hindus and
Muslims in J&K these past few months.  Despite 1990 I think you'll agree
that many people, both Hindus and Muslims have worked very hard over very
many years to ensure that relations are maintained if not healed.  I find it
very distressing that all of it seems to have been washed away before the
storm of emotions that have gripped people in recent months.

I hope then that you'll be able to enter this conversation to clarify your
position with the restraint that I've seen you exercise all these years.

Sincerely,
Sonia.