[Reader-list] Joint India-Pakistan Statement on Mumbai

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:12:47 IST 2008

Hi kshmendra and all. The hate against India, US, Britain and Israel is definitely there in many Pakistanis. Against India the hate has its ebbs and tides, because the state and the media controls the hate factor. This is not only true in Pakistan it is true for India also. The feelings against Pakistan are hundred times higher in India than they were a month back. You just need to compare the blog entries and listen to people on the streets to know this. The state and the media decide how much hate should be allowed to flourish. We should not blame the people for it. The media manufactures the public opinion. this has been referred to as hegemony or manufactured consent by scholars. You just needed to open any damn magazine in the US in early 90s and you would read at least one article about the Chinese brutalities on its people. When China opened its market for the West, the brutalities could hardly been seen in any papers. I think this is universal. So let us not blame the people, it is the media.