[Reader-list] Joint India-Pakistan Statement on Mumbai

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 21:33:18 IST 2008

Dear Kshmendra
Whatever little world I have seen so far, I do not see Pakistan with even an iota of difference from any other country in terms of how people's minds have been brainwashed for nationalism or religious identity. We have the same tools of brainwashing being used in every country, every culture when it comes to national or religious pride. And I repeat that it is just a few people or ruling institutions that prepare the discourse for pride or hatred - the public is not concerned about a larger nation unless they are brainwashed about it. We are all familiar with how the Nehru-Gandhi-Congress image has been sowed into our psyche as the only image of Indian identity.

Pakistan's effort at defining its "national identity" may have failed so far (as compared to other "straight" countries) but that's about the only difference. And we are seeing Pakistan differently because it is our closest "enemy", and we have too much at stake with it. If our closest "enemy" was Namibia, we would be interpreting Namibia's history in the same manner.

Yousuf