[Reader-list] Simi Garewal?

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Dec 3 16:32:11 IST 2008

Dear Kshmendra, Dear Naeem.

The crescent moon and star are not, strictly speaking an Islamic
symbol. You are right. They happen to be the crest of the Ottoman
ruling dynasty, which somehow got metastasized, since the rise of the
Ottomans to the general Muslim world. You do not find it prior to the
rise of the Ottoman caliphate (an episode quite late in Islamic
history). its use by all sorts of Muslims, Ottoman or not, (many of
them former subjects of the Ottoman empire) today, is an instance of
their amnesia regarding the history of symbols and visual tropes in
Islam