[Reader-list] Simi Garewal?

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 18:32:40 IST 2008

Dear Shuddha

I would have liked to see your comment on the suggestion put forward by me:

"""" ....the question arises for the Indian Muslims that should they be thinking about using the Islamic Flag without the Crescent and Star so that it does not appear to be close to being the flag of Pakistan?"""""

For an Islamic flag, I would have thought that the most appropiate symbol (if one had to be used) would be 'Allah' or the 1st Kalima (La Il-Lah il Al-Lah).

In continuation, even if unconnected:

Organised Religion corrupts the Spiritual Quest. Organised religion needs Symbols. The Symbols often become the obsessive identification with the religion and the philosophy of the spiritual quest that in the first place led to the religion and it's symbols becomes secondary and gets ignored.

Symbols are interesting.

The Muslims of the Indian Subcontinent have adopted '786' as numerical representation of the invocation "Bismillal al Rehmaan Al Raheem". Most Purist Islamists consider it as "Biddah" (practice not associated with Mohammed and therefore an evil innovation).

The Hindus similarly seem to have adopted the "Trishul" (Trident) and "OM". I have yet to ascertain if either or both were used in the far far past in places where they logically would been. That is the temples.

The Christian Cross has an interesting variant in the Coptic Christian Cross, which has seen interesting evolution to it's current day design from Coptic Cross which was derived from the Coptic Gnostic (or Ankh) Cross which in turn was a mutation of the Egyptian Ankh (Hieroglyphic character).

Kshmendra