[Reader-list] 2025: the end of US dominance

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 7 07:51:04 IST 2008

Dear Rana,

Even on a morning like that one...

Frankly I do not know whether seemingly spontaneous acts of terrorism have
any co-relationship with policy documents. I agree to your point that this
document is symptomatic of the fact in the ways in which an organization
address itself but I disagree to the formulation that it's importance is an
any way 'limited'. After spending a year at the archives I have come to
deeply respect the often banal, day to day conversations carried out by the
powers that be, precisely because these are the documents that give us an
idea of the movement of thoughts that often takes years to condense before
they form an attitude or govermentality, if you may.

In the light of this don't you think that as people who are trying to
understand and make meaning of a complex, intertwined, and an unfolding
social reality, we must be careful in reading such documents. Its rhetorical
power may not be of any comparison to the best in the trade but I would like
to believe that it is this bareness, this barrenness and this brevity that
makes this document and many hundreds of thousands of such documents a
potential net wherein human lives are coldly trapped and mutilated forever.

Best

Taha