[Reader-list] Is Antulay really pro-Pakistan?

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 21:40:39 IST 2008

Hi Fatima. I can understand that. Most of us have no regard for politicians
but when they say things which we want to hear, they do make think us a lot.

For sometime the voices of the liberal Muslims were getting stronger and
stronger. Of course those who have made a business of dividing the country
on communal lines were feeling marginalized. A large conference declared
terrorrism anti-Islamic. The Hindutva supporters thought this is not how the
majority of Muslims think; they are supporters of Jihad. Muslim Council of
India refused to burry the the terrorists in their graveyard as they
considered such inhuman barbarians cannot be Muslims. Some people agreed
with them. Others again thought it as a sham of a community that always was
after the nonmuslim blood. Yet others, probably including the person whose
mail you forwarded, linked it to the conspiracy theories, meaning the
council believes that they were not Muslims, but Hindus, Jews or Christians.

But the prominent voices in the Muslim communities were refusing to fall in
to the trap of the conspiracy theories. They were getting out of hands of
the divisive powers. Their votes can be better controlled, if they keep
considering themselves first as Muslims and then anything else. That kind of
othering would help all the politicians. So the reigning in was necessary.
And there goes the senior member, cabinet minister, minority minister of the
divisive parties of this country.

It was safe to speak now and not earlier as the previous administration had
not resigned. Once the chief minister and his deputy were gone, the
suspicion would not look like suspecting the congress government. It is
suspecting those who had become irrelevant and it was started by somebody
who would become irrelevant if he did not raise this issue. The old Antule
was not likely to get a ticket from Congress party which was supposedly
focusing on the young blood. He is very likely to remain in the fray. If he
doesn't contest for Congress, he will join some other party. He might start
a new party, Muslim Nationalist party,  to win back the Muslims who feel
cheated by all the political parties. Only to form the government with
Congress as a UPA ally.

All this drama is possibly going to happen because Antule said not what a
lot of people are hearing. The mail you forwarded seems to suggest that
Antule believes in the conspiracy theories about the Mumbai terror attacks
as propounded by a lot of Muslims throughout the world. He is  just saying
that some people took the opportunity of having Karkare murdered in the
shadow of the terror attack. Such conspiracy was also suspected when the
officer who conducted probe in parliament attack case was shot during Jamia
encounter.