[Reader-list] Is Kasab a Pakistani?

Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 20:15:22 IST 2008

Dear Taha
Thanks for clarifying in detail about why you sent the message about
Pakistan's ID system NADRA. Before someone else answers your message
and isolates your sentence "my heart goes out to Kasab..." and says:
"see these bloody Muslims, their heart really goes out to Kasab the
terrorist", let me say a couple of sentences about Pakistan's ID
system.

Someone might respond to your message saying that "what is this
missing of the name in a database you are talking about. Man, it is
Pakistan... the rouge state... does the missing of one name matter in
that state? We in India have millions whose names are missing - how
can you even imagine that Pakistan will have a system by which all
citizens are counted and data-based?"

Yes this is what I am talking about (since you are interested in ID
systems): Pakistan has an amazingly developed system of recording data
and issuing ID cards for every citizen. While in India, we are
requiring to show our photo IDs for some essential services only now.
In Pakistan, one needs to show their ID for every little job. If you
go to a post office to send a speedpost, they need to see your ID.
They need to see it while purchasing bus and train tickets. And all
this not recently, but since at least 10-15 years. I noticed (in a
trip) that an average Pakistani carries a number of xeroxes of his/her
photo IDs in the pocket as it may be required anywhere.

Same goes with the passports. Pakistani passports have bio-metric
information and several other types of coding to identify and keep
track of the person. I think all this is due to the constant pressure
from the world to contain the terror thing. And I would be surprized
if Kasab's name is not there in the database. But certainly, how does
one trust what the authorities or the Pakistani media say about this.
It is certainly possible to beat the system, even by those who manage
the system. See the link below for the official version:

http://www.nadra.gov.pk/DesktopModules/top/topmore.aspx?tabID=0&ItemID=57&bID=0&Mid=3026

Javed