[Reader-list] An invitation to participate in Freed.in 2008

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Wed Feb 20 10:15:55 IST 2008

Hi,
  The annual free software event of ILUG-Delhi is upon us,
sooner than you suspected. We have switched from a Sep. to
a Feb. cycle in order to take advantage of the better
weather.

  This year, we are aiming to reach out beyond the confines
of software to join up with like-minded people working in
other areas. At the same time, we wish to retain a practical
focus in helping facilitate the evolution of an open, shared,
and community-based knowledge ecosystem. The event is divided
into three broad parts:
(a) A planning conclave which will attempt to define the
    parameters of such a system, drawing from the experience
    of people from various fields.
(b) A parallel series of talks from luminaries working in
    such areas.
(c) Adjunct workshops, and birds-of-a-feather get-togethers,
    including:
      o Free maps: Community-based maps, and items of interest
        for geolocation.
      o Indic text rendering in open-source software: Towards
        a common, and robust system. Also, aspects related to
        Indic computing.
      o KDE 4.

Some useful links:
  o Event website, with schedules, blogs, and details on speakers:
    http://freed.in/2008/
  o General invitation to participate, outlining what Freed.in 2008
    is all about:
    http://freed.in/2008/news/knowledge-shall-set-you-free.html
  o General areas of focus:
    http://freed.in/2008/areas-of-interest
  o Conclave details:
  o Talk schedule: http://freed.in/2008/schedule
  o Getting to the venue: http://freed.in/2008/getting-to-freedin
  o You can register as a delegate, though you are not required to,
    and admission is free. If you wish to register, please see:
    http://freed.in/2008/delegate-registration

Regards,
Gora